I'm taking the plunge and need help with hookups

I'm about to purchase the Onkyo HT-S760 system, and a new Panasonic progressive scan DVD player.
My problem is I have an old RCA TV with only one coax input on the back. (I plan on replacing the TV with HDTV in the next 6 months).

I would like to go ahead and wire for the HDTV
by using the Component video cables between the DVD to Onkyo Rec, AND using Optical Digital audio cable from DVD to Onkyo Reciever.

How do I wire the component video cables to the old TV?

Since I am using the Optical Digital audio, will I need to wire audio from the Reciever to the TV?

First, I would say when you wire between the dvd to the receiver you're probably going to lose something maybe very slight, but something in your video. I recommend you hook your dvd player straight to your tv (HDTV). Plus, you save money on cables. In case you didn't know, you would have had to go from your dvd to your receiver then to your tv. Eliminate a step.

Second, definitely go optical from your dvd to the receiver or digital coaxial which is pretty much the same thing except a little more robust and durable.

Third, you will not be able to wire component video cables to the old tv. It uses a different type of signal and converts the three colors together for a cleaner, clearer picture.

Finally, yes you will need to wire rca cables from your tv audio out to your receiver to allow your tv audio to come from your home theater speakers. Unless you would still want to use the speakers on the tv (don't do that). The optical cable is just for the dvd player audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us