OK Im nearly there but now have to make a decision on speakers

TV= Pioneer Elite Kuro 60''
AV= Pioneer 94thx

Speakers

Option 1:
Deftech-7004 fronts
Deftech-clr 2300 centre
Deftech-mythosgems rear

Option 2: Way more expensive ($2300 more money)but better clarity although was more impressed with centre channel of deftechs - could hear dialogue clearer...

Vienna Bach Fronts
Vienna Theatre Centre
Vienna Waltz rears
Martinlogo dynamo Sub

Option3: Is it possible to usee the detech centre with the viennas? Although this will still be expensive!

Will be 12ft away from TV - not bothered about massive bass - dont listen very loud - want clarity of voices/effects etc.

NB Our sofa will be against the back wall which is where I need to put my rears (on the wall)

Your help will be much appreciated.

My gut reaction is the Viennas sounded better but not worth over $2000 more. And I preffered the deftechs center channel ...??? PLEASE HELP.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 216
ralph cooke, now you have 3 threads going, when there should have been one,
anyways I like the fact that your exploring your option on speakers they are the best and longest term investment in your system, I would like to know how much you spent on the TV,

as far as mismatching the speakers it would not be a good idea, just for an example, Vienna use paper with carbon fiber reinfored drivers and there own silk dome tweets, and most def techs I beleive use cloth over aluminum tweets and im getting so lazy at this moment that im not going to research def tech any further, you probibly wont listen anyways, it comes down to,
keeping the tweets and drivers the same material and technoligy in all the speakers, the sub woofer is a little more forgiving and im suddenly losing intrest to explain that one.
what Viennas are you looking at http://www.guidetohometheater.com/subwoofers/113/ this hear is a nice set up, and the center channel in this system would blow away any def tech center channel, and these Viennas are problibly worth every penny

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
ralph, it sounds to me and I think I said this in one of your other threads, you need to figure out what you want in a speaker, warm or bright

Bronze Member
Username: Rcooke

Post Number: 39
sorry about no of threads - just in a rush for answers - thanks again

I mentioned already the Viennas were:
Vienna Bach Fronts
Vienna Theatre Centre
Vienna Waltz rears
Martinlogo dynamo Sub

I just noticed there is a better centre that I could upgrade to accorting to the web "master grand"... maybe that would be better (but more expensive again)

So are you saying the def's are definately not worth the bother?

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
ralph were are you looking at the viennas? and were are you hearing them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
def tech is a good company, I have a old def tech sub in my system thats still going strong, there bipole speakers can be very good but they have to be setup correctly or you will defeat there potential, and given your situation I would not recommend, there expensive Mytho line of speakers that are small, sleek, inconspicuous and fit any decor,sound like tin cans to me, I gess they hired a bunch of women to design these

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Update

Ok - Ive upgraded yet again and now need more help... I guess I just want my learned friends to tell me that for the money Im spending Ive got the best system.

I have been advised that I should not be going for the pioneer Elite 94thx AVR but the new Marantz SR 8002 which is supposed to be far superior and a bit more expensive.

Also I have decided to go for the Vienna Mozart as they are not much more than Bach and have better sound (slightly) they are also a little slimmer...

I was also advised that I need a better sub for the system and was looking at the Rel R205 (again more expensive)

I really dont know much about amps and subs (or speakers for that matter) but the viennas did sound amazing...

Please more advice - I think Ive ditched the cheapo def tech option...thanks again!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
ralph, the viennas are 4ohm speakers, and would stress out the pioneer reciever to much, it would stess out most recievers, the vienna should probibly be paired with separates, and I know what your thinking with the waltz grands, yes they come with angle-adjustable mounting brackets but these speakers would still need room to breath, ok I just read your post 40,

In my opinion the receivers your looking at will not work with Vienna speakers,

if you listened to them what reciever were they running?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
listening with older version of merantz... Sounded great. They advised putting the waltz rears horizontal facing down from the ceilingon the wall where the sofa backs on to ( 12 ft away from tv)
what do you suggest given my total budget for amp plus speakers is now about $10,000. Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
ralph, (who are they?) it almost sounds like someone is sales pitching you, DONT get me rong vienna is a very unique speaker company, and with all my reseach I came to the conclusion a while back that if I had there reference series that I would have one of the best speaker array systems that that money could buy, but I cant afford them, from what I hear the grand series is very good, but there are other speaker companies out there that are very good to, that might bring the cost down, right now im hooked on wharfedales opus series, http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/model.php?model_id=2
or look at pinnacle http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/bd2500.html
its just if your going to spend this kind of money then dont be in a rush, research is half the fun,
http://ayselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=155_289 I have done recent buisness with this site and I am very satisfied, terry over there has great prices, and a lot of things are not on his site but that dosnt mean he cant get it for you

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
ralph what upgrade center channel are you looking at?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Was looking at Vienna Maestro centre instead of Theatro...

'They' are best buy/harveys.... wanted to go to a proper retailer especially for plasma and figured I could get a deal if I get everything from there...(by the way the pioneer amp is 150 watts) you really think the system I mentioned is not good ... I really wanted to buy something by the end of the week...

Honestly I have done loads of research - all points to Vienna Mozart as best speaker in price range for Music/Home Theatre (as long as you get a sub as well)

It it dis sound amazing with an old Morantz Amp.

I was just wondering which AMP to power it...

What would be your no.1 choice for Home theatre amp and speakers with 10k?

To recap
My current 1st choice:

Vienna Mozart Fronts
Vienna Maestro Centre
Vienna Waltz Rears
New Morants SR 8002 AMP or 94THX Pioneer AV AMP
REL R205 Sub

Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
its up to you how much money to spend,
the TV im sure is one of the best looking TVs out there right now, but as I metioned before with the new laser coming out
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6372/52/1/0/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS6wsJRGqnQ
I wouldent spend over $2000 on a TV at this time untill the dust settles, to me it would be the priciple of the thing, you spend that much on a TV that might be worth a fraction of the price in 6 months, but if that dosnt bother you, but I could be rong, ether way,

to me putting the most amount of money in the speakers and reciever is were its at, even if it means sacrificing the quality of the picture, but thats me, you could get some nice seporates for viennas, or the chioce of quality speakers, instead of having a reciever that will probibly have problems powering speakers like these,
that old merantz was it a 5.1 reciever powering the vienna surround system?
ralph you have 4 threads going now you dont need to do that,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Hey- first with regards to threads - If I knew how to delete the others I would - sorry if it bothers you - I do appreciate your help.

2nd Im done on the TV - happy to get plasma right now - I think laser will be a while away - Im getting the Pioneer Elite 60''Kuro.

So Im just trying to get the right amp that upconverts to 1080p, one that I can plug 3 HDMI units into (PS3, TIVO, XBOX360) and that will power the viennas - or another speaker system if your telling me its not the best in its price range - which is what I heard elsewhere - plus I thought it sounded fantastic...

Im not one for listening loud/heavy bass - just want quality / clear sound for movies/TV and gaming...

The old Merantz was a 5.1 reciever I think... again thanks very much for your time and expertese...

What do you think is wrong with either the Pioneer or Merantz amp I was ttalking about and what do you suugest instead?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Another possibility

Been on the phone with anoher retailer...
For a similar - probably less price I could get:

2x Monitor Audio Gold Signature 60's
Gold Sig Centre
Gold Signature FX rears
Sunfire Signature Eq Sub

with Pioneer Elite 94THX

Problem is I wont be able to listen to this b4 I purchase....

Any ideas anyone? Angelo :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
ok ralph, done with TV and its a very good chioce.

and you want everything buy this weekend,

your lucky you live in a place you have so many options right away

and when this is done tell me everything that you buoght

hold and I will give options on speakers

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
the way to do this is to call every high end vidio audio place everyware to see what they have to listen to, and then the fun starts, then jump in a car and audition every place, after each audition you say, Im going to have to think about it plus I have more places to go, with a pocket full of money I wish I was there to help you,

speakers to listen to,
wharfedale opus series
pinnacle
pbs
paradigm
snell
ERA
jamos
I can think of more later,
if you could listen to the wharfedale opus 2`s I think you will love them,

keep the viennas on the back burner

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Much appreciated Angelo... this w/e isnt absolutely necessary but would like to make a decision asap - I agree I shouldnt rush but I certainly wouldnt define this as rushing :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Whats your opinion of the below?:

2x Monitor Audio Gold Signature 60's
Gold Sig Centre
Gold Signature FX rears
Sunfire Signature Eq Sub

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 552
Ralph, I have heard the Monitor Audio Gold series many times, they are an amazing speaker. The Sunfire sub is also quite nice. If it were me, for the money, I would go the Monitor Audio package. Money to Performance ratio they are a very very good speaker.Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
the problem is the way you want to set your room up, the couch against the wall and going the short side of the room, creates a lot of problems epecially in the back speaker area, the GSFX rear speakers are Dipole/monopole, any Dipole, mono or Bipole speakers have to be positioned correctly to use walls to reflect sound or positioned correctly to give off a sound effect,

so thous types of speakers would be to diffucult or not possible for your situation,

you should stick with direct firing rear speakers, the guy that told you to mount the vienna waltz to the ceiling and then ajust them is a good idea, the waltz are a good chioce in your situation, so was the omnis that can disperse the sound in a short area,

your options for the back are,
flat mountable ajustable speakers,
cabnet speakers on stands, but then you have to move the couch up a little and spread them out on the sides a little, omni design could work in multiple was with this,
some bipole designs could work if mounted on stands on the sides but the couch still needs to be pulled forward

hold on nick there are problems

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
nick he has 4 threads going and we have a room situation hear

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
ahhhh got ya Angelo.lol im missing some key info here I can see. Thanks for giving me the heads up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
:-) sorry for confusion re the threads...

OK Im trying not to get confused here... you guys clearly know more about this stuff than me...

So given my budget (<$10,000 for amp and speakers) - and my room constraints ie the sofa realy does have to stay against the back wall 12 ft away from TV and the room is about 22 ft long - what is you top 1 or 2 recommendations for ALL speakers and amps...

eg you mentioned vienna waltz is good idea - I really was v happy with the sound - I could stick with those but which amp would you recommend - I know you gave me a long list but its unlikely I have the time to do enough research and hear all of them - need you to recommend 1 or 2 complete systems for me...

Again thanks....

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
ok nick help us out, what reciever will be powerful enough and musical if he desides to go for 4ohm or big towers,
or afordable separates,

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
ok ralph, tomarrow or if tomarrow is today, call all the high end audio video places you can, see who has the speakers on the list in post 225,

you have the viennas on your favorite list lets see if we can get more on that list,

to narrow the list, I would really like you to hear
(wharfedale opus 2`s)
pinnacle BD 2500 or BD 2000, pinacle makes a flat rear speaker and some wild subs,
PSB speakers,
Paradigm speakers,
monitor gold but the 60 are a bit big I think the GS20 would be fine

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
ok i have done some resreach, nick, how do you think the ARCAM 300 http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/arcam_diva_avr300.htm will drive the 4ohm vienna grand`s
ok no hdmi on the 300 but there is 2-way hdmi switching (video only) on the 350

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I really appreciate your help here - what would I do without you :-) I will do what I can to hear as many as possible ...

regarding amps for the vienna - I thought Full upconverting to 1080P was important as I am getting the 1080P TV - I thought that would make the most of my TV - I need 3 HDMI inputs and 1 output - does no HDMI for sound matter?

The pioneer and Marantz does have upconverting to 1080P - are there any AVR you would recommend for the Vienna that still does the upconverting to 1080P?

again thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
I hear from a few conversations that the top of the range Pioneer 94THX (150 watts) or Merantz would be more than enough for the vienna speakers? Why do you think this is not true?

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
HDMI is not standardized in the industry so high end companies like Arcam are holding back because of it, but I think there getting so much pressure because everybody wants it anyways, that some companies are starting to give in, me I never bothered with it even though I have it, but maybe in the future,

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
as far as receiver, there are some companies that make claims to have the power that they have rated, but its not there,
and the viennas all being 4ohm power hunger speakers, your going to have to have a receiver that can supply all 5 speakers with plenty of long sustained power,

I like pioneer elite, but the viennas are high end stuff, its like your buying a ferrari and you want them to detune the motor because you just like the looks and not the proformance

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
ok I just got off the phone with somebody from SUMIKO, the guy told me he has personal experience with Primare and said most dealers for viennas carry it, the problem is its a near $4000 unit, I mentioned pioneer and marantz and he has hear of people using them both with the speakers, he didnt say if it was bad or good but he said you want a high currant amp that can sustain all channels equally with uneven power loads, so he could only recommened primare out of experience, this is not ward for ward because I did talk a long time and cant remember,

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
Ralph- If you buy a nice speaker like the Vienna's and power them with a Pioneer Elite or Marantz I will personally smack you.lol. Angelo is completely right, its like putting K-Car tires on a Porsche. Its going to destroy the performance of the Vienna's. You need a high current receiver/amp.

Angelo- I really like your choice on the receiver. Arcam 300. I have heard it twice now, and it is a very very nice sounding receiver with tones of power.

Ralph- Angelo is also right when he says that the High End audio companies do not see HDMI as a industry standard yet. It is still constantly changing. Therefore the high end AUDIO companies like Arcam,Rotel,NAD,Primare,H/K and so on have not integrated it yet. They are believers of keeping the Audio and Video separate. So am I personally. Because of this high demand and all these cheaply made corporate, crap sounding receivers already shoving it into the market, the high end audio companies are now turning a little toward the trends. Take NAD for example, they just released a whole new line of receivers with HDMI. H/K now have it. Rotel are due to release a line by November with HDMI. And now Arcam. Personally I do the 1080p thing as well, with no HDMI on my NAD T763. I run an HDMI cable from my Blu-Ray player to the TV for the video. And then a Digital COAX from the Blu-Ray player to my Receiver for the DTS,DD and 3 RCA cables from the 5.1ch output on the Blu-Ray to my 7.1ch input on my Receiver so I can do the Uncompressed audio formats as well as the HD-Audio formats. My Blu-Ray does all the decoding of those formats for me. No HDMI needed. See my point? Always a way around HDMI. Plus unless your TV is 65 inches or bigger, you wont be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p.

Basically what im trying to say, and what Angelo is saying as well, is that when it comes down to it, a good home theater consist of one MAIN thing, Great sounding audio. If you go with a Marantz or Yamaha or Pioneer or Denon, yeah you will get all the bells and whistles, but not the greatest Audio experience. Set your sites as high as the Arcam 300 for a price. I believe it and the new NAD T785 are both 3 grand CDN. Give or take. If you are willing to spend more than that for the components, look at a nice power amp and pre-amp. IMO. Arcam,NAD,ROTEL,H/K are in my top 4 for receivers. Cheers. Angelo, once again, good pick on the Arcam. Great piece.

Silver Member

Post Number: 558
What about something like this.

http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25 QQsassZxyzQ2dxyzQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

Yeah its Ebay, i know...but this guy is a local guy from where I grew up and he owns his own Hi End Audio shop, and is completely legit. This is a sick deal, and could power pretty much anything. Just thought I would throw it out there, as I seen he had them posted. If its done before you see it, he will repost more. No HDMI though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Hi Nick / Angelo - I really appreciate your time here...thanks again...
Do any of the receivers you mentioned upconvert to 1080p its hard to work out...
I do intend to take your advice though - I will keep researching...and Ill try to listen to the speakers you mentioned Angelo...
If I went for seperates how much would it cost to have the audio I need and video for 3 HDMI inputs - 1 output (to the TV) - can you recommend the seperates?

Bythe way nick the ebay item isnt there anymore...

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
thanks for helping Nick, I was starting to feel so alone that I could feel my sexyness Oozzing from me, but Im ok now, I will be back Im going to make Fettuccini and meat balls and then I will recap on everythingUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
THe new NAD Pre amp, the T175 had 3 HDMI in, One out. it can be had for 1500 cdn. And then you should be able to find a decent 5/7 channel power amp for around 1500 or 2 grand cdn. I am just using NAD as an example. YOu will have to listen to some stuff to see what you like.

Angelo-Making me hungry.lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 560
oh and it does 1080p upconverting (Upconverting is marketing CRAP, dont fall into it, the video can only be truly displayed to the resolution it was originally recorded at)

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
just finished I switch it up, meat sauce with zucchini bell pepper and HOT Italian sausage on Fettuccini,

I found a receiver, nick I mention Adcom every time I mention high end receivers, but I havent listen to any lately, and I havent read any threads on them, lets talk about Adcom because in the future if I dont go for separates Adcom is one of my picks, and yes ralph it has all the bells and whistles, and the power rating should be real shouldnt it nick http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=34407

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
ralph I have to say the waltz grands are the best rear speakers for your situation, I didnt like them when I saw them months ago because there so thin, I questioned there ability to compete with a normal size cabnet speaker, but reading up on them maybe they can, other than that they have everything going for them, 2-6" Driver and a 1" silk dome tweet, they come with the hard ware mounting, If im reading it right I think they can be ajusted vertical and horizontal or is it one or the other, big diffrents you should find out?

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
ralph, when you started this you were looking for small speakers, now your looking at towers for the fronts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
correct-i realized once I bought my furniture that I just need small wall mounted rears. Thanks again

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Very frustrating - the adcom just has 2 HDMI inputs - I need 3 :-( (TV reciever, XBOX 360, PS3)

I think Im going to scream...

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
hold on we should have it figured out soon

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
http://www.emotiva.com/products.html sweet looking, and compare test, pricing is very good

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thanks - Dont mean to be stupid here but I think this is two inputs also... (where r u looking?)

I was looking at the NADs Nick suggested, say T175 and T975 together - looks like that would be perrrfect I think - ticks all the boxes weve all mentioned I think - Its just theyll cost me $4000. You think you notice the diffence vs say the merantz 8002 or Pioneer? I think im going to find it hard to listen b4 I buy but I will try...

Right now Im tempted to bite the bullet and go for:

Pioneer 60'' Elite Kuro
Vienna Mozart fronts
Vienna Waltz Rear
Vienna Meastro Centre
Rel R205 Sub
NAD T175 /T975

Havnt summed up the total yet but what you think?????????????????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
By the way - any help with this you could give would be appreciated...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/394733.html

Diferent thread for different topic - just want a simple 40 '' for bedroom but dont want to bother with speakers... thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
yes all of them are going to have just the video HDMI I was trying to seek it by you I gess, everything is explained in Nicks 557 post, you have 2 options, ether by like a H/K receiver and ad an amp, or go for the NAD, the problem that some people have with NAD is units going bad or some people dont like the sound, but as far as NAD vs pioneer or merantz yes NAD spanks them both, plus you will make Nick very happy since he is such the nad freak, they should be giving you free stuff Nick for all the sales you have made them,

ralph the Emotiva has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 out
Im sure there are other units out there but it requires looking a little moreUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
Ok Ralph, after looking around it looks like NAD is the only high end company to have the HDMI that your looking for at this time, other companies will later, the only problem you might have is, people say NAD like the H/K has a warm sound, pair with warm speakers might have problems on the highs, I have soft dome tweets on my wharfedales and running a H/K 645, I bumped the treble up one notch two if im running heavy equipment all day long like I have been, ether way the NAD with the viennas should produce a warm and detailed sound that wont give you listening fategue,
looking at my receiver it has two in and one out on the HDMI,
it looks like theres a lot of refurbs for NAD, that could save you money

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
3 more litte questions:
1. What do you mean by "it looks like theres a lot of refurbs for NAD, that could save you money"
2. "NAD is units going bad "
3. Recommendations for my 40inch bedroom tv using tv for sound also? :-)

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
ANother question - would the T955 be ok for the viennas - I dont see the point of paying for 7.1 - I really dont think I will ever use it... is it powerful enough?

OR do you recommend I stick with top of the range ie T975? Thanks

http://nadelectronics.com/products

*T955*
5 x 100W Minimum Continuous Power (8 / 4 Ohms); all channels driven simultaneously
150W, 200W and 260W IHF Power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
I dont really know why there are so many refurbs, I dont think it could be that, there are that many more units going bad than any other company,

I dont see myself going to 7 channel ether, I think the T955 will work fine, tommarow I will call the number and see if I can talk to someone for you,

about the TV can you get a deal with the other TV, I might go in to town tomarow and maybe I will look at some for you

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
you can use the NAD T175 and then use a other amp form another company

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
If I can make a v quick decision I will try to get Harveys to get me the wholse thing (both tvs and everything - including install - bu tI have to have at least the bedroom tv delivered within 7 days.

If you dont recommend the T955 with the T175 what do you recommend - I thought we were finished for a minute - now you throw another co. into the mix

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
"they should be giving you free stuff Nick for all the sales you have made them" LOL Angelo that would be nice wouldn't it though.

Ralph- The T955 will have plenty of reserves for those speakers. You can also still find the T973 which is the last rev of the T975, and as far as I can see, there is no difference. That will cut your cost roughly a grand as well. I have heard the T175, very nice piece.Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Do we agree? Is this system worth the bucks then?
-------------
Pioneer 60'' Elite Kuro
Vienna Mozart fronts
Vienna Waltz Rear
Vienna Meastro Centre
Rel R205 Sub
NAD T175 & T955

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Im just saying if you are not satifide with the amp, but if nick says its plenty then it must be , Nick is the NAD king, yes go for it

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Thanks!!! I plan to listen to some more speakers today b4 pulling the trigger - I can't tell you how helpful you guys have been! Will come back to you once Ive listening to a few alternatives so I can make a once and for all choice - I feel I am nearly there!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
Ralph - I think your setup is going to pump. Let us know what you listen to, and when you get your stuff. LOL Angelo-nice bear man.haha.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
A slight issue - Aparantly the T175 / T955 isnt shipping until later in the year - perhaps december.

Harveys has suggested tht I go for the T973 (Nick you mentioned this would be ok) and the Meranz 8002 as a preamp to get all the video stuff I want...

The price of the Merantz 8002 and the T175 is about the same...

Your thoughts? thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
ralph what it harvey thinking why would you buy such an expensive receiver just to use it as a processor

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
??? - suggestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 568
I agree with Angelo. For that kind of money, get a processor. Where do you live Ralph, I am in Canada, and my dealer already has a Demo unit of the T175. Wierd. The T973 is the same as the T975, its a nice amp. ahhhhh for pre-amp, lets see....well how much were you quoted on the T175 to give us a price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
live in mnhtn,NY

$2000 for T175 I think

With regard to another pre-amp i do need 3 hdmi in - 1 out.

Im going for the Pioneer Elite kuro and thought that I should get 1080p upconversion as it would be a waste not to... ???? thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
I dont think harveys is looking out for you, if I had a pocket full of money I think I would take it someware else

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
they claimed they have hooked that up b4 and it was good...???? I understand wot your saying - Im not committed to anyone right now -- just trying to decide on what system to go for asap... ordered the Sony xbr4 40 inch 4 the bedroom today - will be delivered next week...

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
and I was on my way to town, and was going to look at 40" tv for you

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
1080p upconversion is a Marketing scheme. The biggest Marketing Scheme of Home Theater History. It is not needed at all. Ever, for anything.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Separates

Good stuff here too. 4 HDMI IN, 2 out. BAM. Check out their receivers too. The big daddy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
I was going to check out the integra for a processor, but I think for the amp he can do better, what about the emotiva, im out be back later

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
You suggesting not seperates here nick or am I confused... which amp/pre-amp exactly r u recommending - sorry to be stupid...

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
Ive heard good things about Emotiva on here, never actually heard any of it though. I know im a NAD fan, but the T973 really is a good powerfull, monster of an amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
r u suggesting DTC-9.8 as pre-amp and T973 as amp - just to confirm - thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
or DTC for both?

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
Just the 9.8 as the pre amp, stay with the NAD amp. If your willing to hold out until you can get your hands on the T175, I feel it will sound better than an Integra, just my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Now my sony 40 inch will arrive on Saturday I could wait for the NAD (it will be a diffficult wait!!!) if you think it will be better - do I need to worry about what angelo was saying about the warm speakers, warm amp - or the many faulty NADS? Why do you think the NAD will be better?

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Nick you NAD biittch, ralph the 9.8 and T973 should work well for what you want, the only thing I dont like is how some people say how the NAD is mufled or dark or somethings I forgot, but this will help you ralph this summer I listened to a NAD powering ERA speakers that have soft dome tweets and it sounded great, I think you will be impressed,

as for me, Im very intrested in the Emotivas as a prospect in my future,

Adcom receivers dont have a lot of exciting comments and has no tone control,

Arcam 300 looks like a very good receiver, that will be in my try it listen in the future thingy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
DOes THX or not THX make any difference? (9.8 is THX, Nad isnt)

Honestly a couple of months will not make much difference - Is there a concensus on whioh is better?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
This amp / pre amp stuff - basically is it that all video goes through pre amp and sound through AMP or is it more complicated than that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
yes ralph some people dont like the sound and I wonder if some of the comments are from people that dont know what there saying, I know there are a lot of people in hear that dont like wharfedale speakers because there have been a lot of comments made about how muffled the tweeters sound on the diamond series, and its a battle on the opus series as well, I dont have it figured out yet because to do so I think we need to get a hole bunch of people together and listen to all the top brands of speakers and amps and see whats true, I do know that if you put the yamaha towers and yamaha receiver together I will leave the room holding my ears, they are that bright, I read in one thread someone said somthing about (we have done enough damage to are ears) I get the feeling some people are striving for the perfect crispy highs, and maybe that not always the best idea, I know im just babbling, but all of these comments make it hard to tell you how your going to like it after a few months after the speakers are fully broken in (yeh allow say a month for the speakers to fully break in to judge them)but what am I worried about you buying speakers and amp from top notch companies,

your room will make a big difference like carpet, or just a well dampened room, what is your room like?

THX means nothing trust me no that one

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
the amp is just that, your pre amp handles all the connections, your pre tells the amp what to do for sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
The room (22ft by 12ft) has a wooden floor - in the middle of the room is a 11ft by 8ft rug with a good quality 'soundproof' underlay.

What do you mean by "but what am I worried about you buying speakers and amp from top notch companies" - I take it you mean buy from NAD or Integra cos they are well known - or do you mean by from high street and get a deal in case anything goes wrong .If I cant listen to the stuff first I just wondered how Im going to make the decision between the Integra and NAD pre AMP - NAD 973 AMP looks good.
- I really do appreciate all you help ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
...also - on the far left of the room there is a large double glazed window... ( the home thetre set up is towards the right of the room)

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Angelo- Arcam 300 is sweet. I just read a review as well on a ADCOM receiver in the last issue of Home Theater magazine, and they basically said for the money the sound quality was sub par. Wasnt a good review.

Ralph- NAD claims all the grounding issues they had inside the 7X2 series and so on are fixed due to change in their manufacturing plant. They have seemed to step it up a notch in the build quality with their new Pre-Amp and receivers. It is up to you Ralph- I think the Integra will sound good, but I have heard the T175 and it sounded great to my ears. IMO, and again... if it WERE ME, I would wait for the T175 man.

Angelo- I think in the future im gonna look at some Bryston/Monitor Audio stuff for my next upgrades. Arcam is on my list as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
If I said Nad amp and pioneer elite pre amp you would both be very unhappy correct :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
ie pioneer elite would go well with tv and has all the latest Video stuff - then I could power speakers via say NAD T973???

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
The Pioneer Elite Receiver will not sound as good as a NAD pre-amp. It is up to u, all the video options, or better sound quality. For me its sound quality all the way.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 349
While I'm a big fan of Pioneer, I would have to agree with Nick. The NAD (to me) sounds better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
thanks guys

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
ralph, everything in my system now except my old sub, has been bought online, im so satifide that everything I get in the future will be bought on line,the prices are just to good if you look right, if something gos rong with my receiver and H/K is on the hot seat for units going bad, the first month the online store would have gave me a new one after that its up to H/K, if you buy from harveys, he might act real nice to you now but if something gos rong I dont think your going to see that nice guy and fast service anymore, right now I think the the integra NAD and veinnas are your prime choices,

nick, the itegra went to the new 1.3 HDMI, will that work with the others, and isnt some HDMI work with some and not others?

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
ralph, thats if you dont want to waite

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
If the 3 of you - who obviously know more than me - suggest the NAD pre amp and amp will sound better then a couple of months isnt going to hurt...I still plan to hear a few more similar priced speakers b4 I pull the trigger... will let you know - thanks again...

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
David- I like the Pioneer Receivers, but he is comparing it to a PRE-AMP, lol, I think most pre-amps will do better then most receivers, specially comparing it to a NAD. IMO

Angelo- Depends on the HDMI cable, the problem with the HDMI 1.3a connetions right now is that there isnt a HDMI cable out there that fully works with it yet. This is why I do not like HDMI yet, too many changes involved too fast, wont be seen as a Industry standard until they have a final, finished version of HDMI, once and for all.

Raplh- I think waiting is a great idea, and also a great idea to demo some more stuff in the mean time. More you listen to stuff, more of an idea you will get of stuff you like the sound of. Listening is what makes this hobby so much fun, and then when you get your new stuff, you will be a kid in a candy store.lol. Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Ok - Went to audition some other speakers with to compare to Viennas today - and...

What do you think to:

Focal Chorus 816 V Fronts
Focal Chorus CC 800 V center
Focal SIB Rears (they can face down on the wall)
Cinema 10 Sub

These were being powered by Arcam P1000 AMP, (pre AMP Arcam AVP700) - (the seperates to the AVR 300 you were talking about)

I heard the focals next to the Viennas and depite being slightly cheaper I thought they were much clearer - certainly for R&B type music - I dontlisten to much classical - it seems like with Viennas you are also paying for the veneer finish and not the speaker. Some of the piano/guitar detail was lost in Viennas which came through clear on the Focal.

It was suggested that it may be better picture wize to put everything directly into the pioneer plasma through HDMI and put the audio throught
the pre AMP/Pro Amp. I have 4 HDMI inputs on the TV and apparantly this will give the best picture ??? thoughts?

This would mean that all the other video stuff (upconverting etc) I thought I 'needed' I perhaps dont?

Let me know what you think?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 597
again, u dont need upconverting. AND they are right, always, if possible, keep your audio and video separate, meaning keep the HDMI cables running directly to the TV, and another separate cable to the pre amp for audio.

To be honest, I really like the Arcam stuff, and I really like the Focal stuff as well. Great mix together. If you liked the setup, I would recommend buying it. Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Thnks, Angelo?

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
nick this is what I was looking for http://www.electronichouse.com/article/the_various_versions_of_hdmi/

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#q1_5

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
ralph, I have never listened to Focal but looking at them, two things the rears look plasticky, and the tweets are metal and you said they were clearer, this might be getting back to my piont that I have mentioned before, identifing what you like in a speaker, warm or bright, maybe im not explaining it right I dont fully have a complete grasp on it myself yet, but when you liked one over the other its time to questin why? was it on the same receiver and source, dos one match better with that receiver than the other, in genral did it get a fair test,

then I look at what material the tweeters and drivers are made of, so far I notice that most high end speakers are tex tweeters, and kevlar, carbon fiber or some type of ridged material for the drivers, the harder the material the faster its going to vibrate,the brighter its its going to be, but of course there has to be a balance and speakers have more variables than that, I think thats why veinna ads paper in there drivers, to dampen, to smooth it out, I think one reason some high end companies like the unique veinna do these things is so you wont get listening fategue over long listening times, and destroy your hearing, but they should still be detailed and clear, but put up against a bright speaker might make it seem the way you thaught, if your ears adjust to the brighter speaker (more or less go into defense mode) how do you think the warmer speaker is going to sound?

I would like to see you listen to the wharfedale opus 2`s , to see what you think

I hope I sounded correct, its the first time to try and explain it, in the future I should explain it better

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
thanks - both were running of same ARCAM / same setup etc... - I will try to find the opus 2's to have a listen... thnks agn

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Cant find opus anywhere in ny city... Just listened to some KEFs IQ7B which sounded good - very hard to compare speakers without them being next to each other which is proving impossible...

The KEF rears I was looking at were the latest 3005 eggs which sounded good also (I used to have the KEF 2005's)

Im also under some time pressure to get this ordered soon...

Part of me is thinking about perhaps trying to save money and going for the full KEF 3005 5.1 with Pioneer Elite AVR -

I know what your going to say - you would say the quality of this is significantly lower than all the stuff weve been talking about...

One of the problems now is I feel I cannot do justice to getting the complete seperate quality solution at this point - (ie I just dont have the time or ability to listen to lots of speakers side by side)...and perhaps the cheaper option would suffice for now?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated...

Silver Member

Post Number: 603
I say if the Arcam/Focal setup is affordable, than go that route. But thats me, and its a lot easier spending other peoples money.lol. Its not like the KEF and Elite combo still wont sound good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
What do you think about the tower KEF's for fronts vs Focal? I listened to KEF IQ7's ($1000 pair) and will be listening to the KEFXQ30's (2800 / pair) tonight...

Silver Member

Post Number: 604
ummm hard to say. JM Labs Focal's are nice speakers. But so are the XQ30's, thats gonna be up to your ears I guess.lol. Thats a hard one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
I think I would stick to the focals then,

its no suprise that you cant find wharfedale, but theres still more on the list
Paradigm, are very popular with people in this forum so are PSB speakers, and then what about pinnacle BD 2500 or BD 2000

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Im with nick , if you you can afford the Arcam/Focal setup, and yes I love spending other peoples money

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Update -

Ordered the PIoneer Elite Kuro 60'' today - will have it by Monday.

Still to decide on amp/pre and speakers- decided to take more time over it as you guys suggested. By the way - I spoke to one guy who suggested (as I think you did Angelo) that the ARCAM pre-amp is not a good match with the pinoeer elite kuro due to HDMI 1.2 not great for HDMI 1.3 or something like that - he recommended the integra as you have before - rather than ARCAM. Perhaps Integra pre amp with arcam amp? or would you suggest Integra amp and pre amp?

Also, have you guys got any experience with cooling fans for cabinets - my plasma will be in an enclosed space (lots of space behind but less than the recommended space above - and Im slightly worried about overheating - I noticed there are a few fans you can buy on the web but I dont know much about it... thoughts? Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
in my post 255 the HDMI links even say that your not guaranteed compatibility with the same version, integra pre and Arcam amp or are you confusing it with the NAD? ether way I dont think I would use the integra amp,

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
the problem with external cooling fans and why they can void warrenty is because the cooling fans in the unit are designed to flow a certain way and amount, exteral fans can alter direction or speed or slow the set flow of the design, if you have to ad fans put them as far away from altering the set flow, cant you put air holes in the top of the cabinet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Ventilation - I can put holes in it I guess... didnt think of that :-)

Do you think it is too high to have a centre channel just under 6 ft high? I may need to do this to have adequate room above the 60inch...

Re Integra - the guy at an authorised pioneer dealer told me not to go for ARCAM pre amp as it was not a good match with the TV. He mentioned Integra and said it was a very good product...

Of course I could wait for NAD but Im hoping to be able to get a good amp/preamp & speakers soon - still dont know which amp to go for as he advised ARCAM was not a good match for the Pioneer TV... (he was not trying to sell me a pioneer elite AVR - he also did sell ARCAM so he sounded very trustworthy)

Is there any particular reason why you dont like integra?

Again thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
...also with regard to rear speakers I was looking at the dolby digital 5.1 surround website and it appears that the rears are ok at the same level as your ears pointing inwards (ie at the side of the couch)http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

Maybe this is a better option for me rather than on the wall?

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
cool 5.1 and 7.1 display thingy, yes this is one of the options that I mentioned to you with cabnet rear speakers, the only problem with this is if you have someone sitting next to you they block that side of sound to a degree, so thats why I said to you to pull the couch farward and push the speakers back slightly, and if you notice on any 5.1 setup room layout help thing they never have the back wall up against the couch, rule of thumb 1 foot from the wall minnumum for speakers, when you get tight like you want every inch counts, and for speaker hight for music you want all speakers to be at ear level between the tweeter and mid range, for movies they sujest effects speakers to be 2 feet above ear hight but I beleive to compermise in between these two mesurments, but the closer the speakers are to you the closer you should be to the ear level between the tweeter and midrange, experimenting with these guide lines is the best

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
you will want to line the center up to ear level as close as possible, having it up that high, (NO!!!) put it on a stand if you have to in front as high as you can under the TV

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
and then tilt the center back so its direct in to you

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
yup.

Ralph, for someone to say that A pre amp is not a good MATCH for their TV's tells me that the Pioneer guy you were talking to doesn't know what he was talking about. Sound man, its about the sound, HDMI is HDMI and video is video. The Arcam rules.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Ok - now I am confused - the pre amp does deal with video and he said the hdmi coming out the arcam is not a good match for the HDMI accepted by the pioneer - how can that not be relevant - or what am I missing?

With respect to center I dont think I have much choice - there is nowhere below the tv to put it - one possibility is putting it above TV (approx 6ft high) and tilting it down a little to point directly at the sweet spot - I thought that was the same as putting it low and tilting it up?

Of course an alternative is taking the tv stand back to the shop but 1) it was expensive and would require a big argument with Macys and 2) my wife loves it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
I suppose if the Arcam only has HDMI 1.1 and the TV is HDMI 1.3a, then there maybe some complications with audio. But you will be running the audio directly from the source to the pre amp anyway. Oh well buy what you want.lol this is why HDMI is garbage, marketing bullshit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
Buy a crappy 300 dollar Yamaha, it will have all the HDMI connectivity you can imagine, and will sound like a bag of smashed a$$holes. What a waste of a system. But hey, you will have terrible horrible sound quality, and a crappy movie experience, but damn that HDMI sure will match up well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
I get it - Im just telling you what I was told ... what do you think to my comment on my center speaker? Can I put it above the tv and tilt it down?

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
BAD Ralphy BAD!!!!!! im with nick go out and buy that crappy receiver and while your at it buy some Bose speakers they will match up crappily perfect, and while your at it put that center speaker up 6 feet so you can hear the echo effect thats called (out of phase) my freind did this and his center isnt even that far up, every time the voices or sound expanded in the center and fronts it sounded echoy, and every time the sound gos from front to center the sound wont be aligned, you have to bring the center as close to alignment between the tweeters and midrange of the fronts, everybody has the screen in the way, except people with projection with the center behind the screen thats what im working on in the future, and yes if the integra pre is fully compadible with the HDMI then buy that but look for a better amp, the person who invented HDMI should be beaten with a spiked base ball bat, unless it was a sexy amazonian girl, then she should be spanked by me, fearcily but very gently

Silver Member

Post Number: 625
LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
sorry ralph but you had it coming, find a center channel adjusible stand on the net, if I lived near you I would weld you up a costom one that would bolt to the front, unless you have doors or drawers in the way, take a picture of the cabnet so I can give you options

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89

Guys calm down. I appreciate all your help here... your saying DO NOT put the center above the TV and tilt down as this will not be good.

I am investigating options and will get back to you soon - If I didnt value your opinion I would not be bothering with posting on here...

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 357
At one point I had my center above my TV. It was about 6" from the floor, and tilted down towards our watching position. I was never really happy with the sound of the dialog. I think part of the reason was that the front plane of the speaker was behind the TV, causing some weird sound deflections. I moved it below the TV (it close to level to our watching position now) and is much better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Thanks David - and everyone else - I will figure something out!

Silver Member

Post Number: 630
Sounds good Ralph, let us know what you find dude. Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
if you want ralph take a picture, I can help, I think I think I thinkUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
just veiwed your pioneer TV today, very very nice

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Quick update -
TV is AMAZING - just watched Planet Earth Blue Ray - umbelievable

I am taking my tv furniture back to Macys - and will get a tv stand that allows me to put a center speaker below the TV together with all my stuff...

DO you have any recommendations for a good stand:

Will need to be able to hold a 60 inch at the top , center speaker below PLUS

DVD
XBOX360
Monster box (to plug everything in)
TIVO
AMP
PRE AMP

Preferably with glass front that you can close to help keep off dust...

Got exams to study for so will update with more speaker/amp stuff once I hear a few more over the next few weeks...

Thanks again and watch this space...
if you hear any more youd like to recommend please let me know...

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
ralph, hears an idea, maybe calling a cabnet maker just might be in the same price range but you would get it costom made just for you, its a thaught, the key thing hear is to get the center channel as close to the bottom of the screen as posible and to get the center channel up as close to level with the front speakers tweeter and midranges

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
OK - today was decision time on speakers and amps. Suffice to say I went WAYYYYY over budget but here was what I decided to buy - let me know your thoughts incase you think I made a big mistake!!!

Fronts: FOCAL Electra 1007 BE on stands.
Centre: FOCAL Chorus CC 800 V
Rears: FOCAL Chorus SR 800 V (bi polar)
SUB: Velodyne DD-10