Need help making some upgrading decisions... please help newbie

I am thinking of upgrading my 3 yr old home theater setup (speakers and receivers) and have established a $1,750 Cdn or nearly $1,300 US budget. Now my first question is will this $1,300 US or $1,750 Cdn be money well spend? Will I hear a significant improvement over what I currently have (see below)? I am not against putting all the budget into just speakers or just the receiver is the other components are still any good. I just want to make sure it will be money well spent. The setup will be used to listen to music and to watch dvd movies, the split is probably 40% music and 60% movies.

Current Setup:
Receiver - Kenwood VR-309
Effective power at 100W per channel, at 8 ohms, from 40Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.7% THD
Frequency Response is 10Hz ~ 85kHz, +0 dB, -3.0 dB
Signal to Noise ratio is 93 dB

Main Speakers - Kenwood JL-508
3 way 3 speaker system
12" cone woofer
4" cone midrange
0.5" titanium dome tweeter
Sensitivity is 92 dB/W at 1 m
Frequency response is 45Hz to 20kHz
Normal impedance is 8 omhs

Surround/Centre Speakers - Kenwood CDS-158
Centre
two 4" cone
Sensitivity is 89 dB/W at 1 m
Frequency response is 70Hz to 20kHz

Surround
one 4" cone
Sensitivity is 88 dB/W at 1 m
Frequency response is 80Hz to 20kHz

Subwoofer - Kenwood SW-1050W
150W RMS into 4 ohms from 20Hz to 200Hz with no more than 0.09% THD
12" polypropylene cone
Normal impedance is 4 omhs

And in case it makes any difference, my "theater" is about 10' deep and 12' wide.

Derek
Have a look at Paradigm, Athena, NHT or Energy. I will assume your receiver has a line-level subwoofer output. Use an active sub - perhaps a HSU VTF-2...

Hope this helps.

qdog
also look at RBH compact series, comparable to Energy take 5.1...here are some links...

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/rbhcompacttheater/

http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20020901.htm

and for a receiver look at Integra 6.3...excellent value

Thanks for the info... I will look into each of them. I have read a lot about the Athena speakers, specifically their Point 5 home theater package and so far, all I have read are positive. Are there ANY negatives?

Derek, am I hearing you correctly that you think I should just upgrade my speakers?

Thanks again,
MA

Derek
Yes, your receiver should be good enough. It's limited bass response will be negated by the active subwoofer.

Bytheway, I have the Point 5s and have gone through two sets of Take-5s, one coupled with the HSU sub.

Happy Upgrade!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us