S-Video in and Component out?

I've heard that receivers with multiple format inputs still will only switch from like source to like source (svideo-svideo, component-component, composite-composite, etc). Is this true? I'm about to purchase the Onkyo HT-S760 A/V receiver and I'd like to put all video feeds into the receiver and run only one component signal from the receiver to my video projector.

My issue is that I don't want to run multiple 50' lines to my projector from the receiver. Also, the projector (InFocus X1) takes a modified S-Video connector for its component input; therefore I cannot plug component video and S-video into the projector at the same time (let alone the signal degradation I'd get from running a 50' S-video cable).

Alternatively, is there a cable adaptor that will split out an S-video signal to 2 or 3 RCA connections? I'd like to run the 50' distance over a component cable and adapt to S-Video at both ends.

Thanks.

Derek
Most higher end receivers these days convert S-Video to component. Kenwood started this a few years ago. I don't know about the S760 but I know Denon and Onkyo make receivers that do the conversion.

By the way you don't gain any picture quality by converting to component. You may as well use S-Video. It's more for convenience UNLESS you have at least one device that outputs component natively. Then it's worth the trouble.

Hope this helps.

Derek,

Thanks! That's great info if true. I've been banging my head against the wall to try and figure out the best way to handle the cable run and projector inputs on the X1.

I plan on purchasing the Onkyo HT-S760 receiver/speaker package (many reviews in this column) which includes the HT-R510 receiver. How can I tell if this receiver makes the S-vid - component conversion? Is there some notation that would show up in the specs? I don't trust the knowledge of the CC guys since CC laid off all their senior salespeople as a cost saving measure.

Derek
Go to www.onkyo.com or give them a call.

Steven Echtman
I am going to pick up the system and see if the component out works when there is S-Vid in.

I was not able to get any additional info on this or see anything in the specs.

If anyone has more info please respond.

Thanks.

Steven E
OK, the conclusion is; there is no up (or down) conversion provided by the receiver in the onkyo HT-S 760 package.

Now I'm looking for an upconverter/video switch to take all monitor outputs (component, composite, and S) from the receiver and send them to the projector.

Anyone know of such an animal and where to find it?

Derek
I'd say buy a receiver that does it for you. (Denon, Kenwood) I couldn't find anything at Parts Express, Digital Connections, Key Digital,Audio Authority or Extron.

These
http://www.avtoolbox.com/cmt-7.htm
http://www.svideo.com/com3.html
do only 2 sources and aren't too exprensive.

This JX-S555 http://www.specialtyvideosupply.com/prodpage/jvc.html is $475.

This http://www.autopatch.com/switchers.htm company looks like they can do it but they don't look cheap.

Hope this helps.

Steven E
Hi Derek,

Thanks for the sluthing.

The CMT-7 you found at - AV Toolbox http://www.avtoolbox.com/cmt-7.htm - appears that it will do the trick for $159-. I'm going to shop around and probably grab this one.
"CMT-7 Video Decoder allows you to convert conventional Composite or S-Video signals into high quality YUV component video signals (Y, R-Y, B-Y) or RGBS. This enables TV Sets equipped with RBG or YUV Inputs to take advantage of improved video performance from VCR's, DVD's or other video sources. The Digital Comb Filter insures high clarity of the output picture."

But the - http://www.svideo.com/com3.html - link looks like it's just a pass through switcher. "This selector allows you to select between the different inputs - its does not, for instance, convert one input type to another, such as S-Video to Component Video."

Thanks - Steve

Anonymous
I purchased a sony hd200 sat receiver and wanted to run an s-video signal to the x1 infocus projector and a component signal to a panasonic 42" plasma. The receiver has a switch on the back that only allows you to do one or the other. Could I split the component signal output on the receiver to two separate inputs, s-video and component. And be able to get multible viewing?
Also, I have a 15 pin svga cable running to the projector which could be use instead of the s-video cable. Thanks - T-Bird

Derek
The only HDTV tuner I know of that runs all (Composite, Component, S-Video, VGA and DVI) at the same time is Samsung. I would run the Component to one monitor and The VGA or DVI to the other.

See this http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?172
article.

Anonymous
Steven,

I hope you are still open to other ideas. I am in a similar conundrum. I too have purchased the Infocus X1. I too need a single component cable run to the projector. I too have been looking at a/v receivers to do composite and s-video conversion to component (RGB). The problem is all a/v receivers that do any sort of cabling upconvert (like the Denon AVR-3803), do nothing for signal upconversion. Sure, plug your composite 480i VCR into it and out comes component, but it's still 480i!! I found a box that does both. It's from ADS www.adstech.com and it's called the HDUP-1500. It's supposed to be based of the Genesis gm6015 chip and it'll take 480i composite and upconvert the cable to component AND the signal to 1080i (HDTV) and/or 720p, 480p. Pretty nice idea for $600. Many others I've seen are around $4k, $10k, even $20k. Only problem is it's vaporware right now (production delays). Why pay $1,200 for an a/v receiver that doesn't even upconvert the signal? If you combine the HDUP-1500 with the X1 all you have left to deal with is the audio (the ads box only handles red/white rca stereo and not 5.1 surround, not coax, and not optical). Problem is, most cheaper a/v receivers are short on digital audio inputs until you get into the 500-600 dollar range. Problem with the cmt-7 is that is doesn't output component video and it only upconverts to 480p and it doesn't convert the cabling, just the signal. Any $150 dvd can do that and more for the same price. The best combo would be to find an audio receiver build for home theatre with THX and other desired formats, but without all the video you won't use because the HDUP-1500 is handling it. Then all you'd need is one connection to the X1 and buy the component to 15-pin cable from Infocus and you're set (the special s-video only accepts 480i signals and you wouldn't need it because all signals would be 1080i or such going to the 15-pin through a vesa component to 15-pin cable). Without an upconversion, you'll need to share the component run between 480i sources (tv, vcr) with 480p and 1080i sources (dvd, etc), then split the cable at the projector and run a line to both the s-video (for 480i) and the 15-pin (for 480p, etc). The ads box (hopefully) will be out Sept 2003 then I can test this theory. It might save you some money by doing all the video work for you. Good Luck!! Post here again if you have any questions and I'll try to answer. Cheers.

Derek
That will be a great device when it comes out - switcher, tuner, scaler, doubler. I can't wait to see the reviews.

By the way Sony is bringing out a SAT-HD300 that can output to all jacks. Both are mentioned at
http://www.dtvmax.com/main.htm

C. Sun
AHA, I'm also looking for the receivers which can do up-conversion. so that I don't have to press one more button for TV input when switching between cable TV, satellite TV, DVD and VCR.

Tweeter sales told me Denon 3802 can do it, but yamaha V2300 can not.

Here I see discussion about cabling vs. signal upconvert. I wonder if that can make much difference. I could be wrong, but in theory, I think signal from composite (or s-video) should be already less precise than component output. information is already lost, How can already-no-so-good signal get any better ?

Derek
It's not. It's just more convenient.

C. Sun
If it is just for conveninence, I don't think it's good idea to buy an seperate upconvert box.
Don't tell me upconvert box has its own remote for input switching.
I think getting a receiver with cabling upconvert should be good enough, IMHO.

Anonymous
take a look at this link:

http://www.genesismicrochip.com/products/gm6010.phtml

It explains how ~ 250 line interlaced VCR signal is upconverted to hdtv (1080i). The difference between 480i and 480p/720p/1080i is significant. The magic is for $600 it CAN improve poor signals from cable tv, vcr, 480i dvd players, etc.

The chip in the HDUP 1500 is the same one in many HDTVs. Do you plug a vcr, cable tv, or 480i dvd into your hdtv? Same process occurs inside on the same chip. Things is, the X1 just needs it done before it projects.

It's all in how you want to design your experience - around hdtv, around a/v receiver, or around another box (upcoverter).

Watch for reviews and sales numbers - that will tell us if the product is worth it or not.

If you think it's worth paying $600 or more just to get component cabling upconverted - ok. There are no reasonably priced receivers that do cable conversion and signal conversion.

Why not get both for the same price?

The convenience is that the X1 takes 480i through special s-video, but 480p/720p/1080i through 15-pin (vesa). If you don't upconvert then your running two sets of cables. You upconvert, you have one. Even with a/v receivers you'd have to plug into two places on the back of the X1.

Why waste money, cabling, and cost of a projector that can handle a 1080i signal? You wouldn't even have to buy a 480p dvd. Is it worth an extra box? Your call.

Let's watch and see what happens.

i have a X1 too i connect it to my receiver (onkyo sx-601) and they is connect my dvd, laser disk and VCR, everything worked well until I hooked up my cable TV connection to my VCR. Then a horizontal black band started to scroll up the screen which presented a noticable and constant annoyance, whether or not the VCR was on. I finally discovered that this was due to a "ground loop interference" caused by a differential in grounding of my A/V equipment, and the grounding of the cable TV incoming wiring. When I disconnected the cable TV cable to my VCR, all was well again.
maybe you have a solution to the problem.

maybe the best way is take a component signal to HDTV input in your proyector, because is supported for model X1, only you can buy is this adapter http://salestores1.com/inspcotovead.html
or built your own http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html any way maybe is don't work, but try

Derek
This http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15971990&St=8489&St2=86890022&St3=-52198101&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16262&DID=7 will break your ground loop.

Any one of you have the same ground problem? if you have solve this trouble, please let me now, or you have any information, doc etc... send me please to
sepalma@hotmail.com
Thx very much.

I have a plasma display connected to my components 25' away on the other side of the room. The only wire connecting is a high quality monster component video cable.

When I connect my DVD direct the picture is perfect. However, I also need to connect my digital cable which is not component and my VCR which will be composite or s-video.

In order to accomplish this I purchased a Sony ES receiver that is suposed to convert composite and s-video to component which it seems to do and lets me use the single connection to the TV. However, I have now run my DVD through my receiver and the picture quality has suffered. Specifically, there is a thin horizontal line that rises from the bottom to top of the screen at a steady rate. I can understand that maybe the s-video or composite sources might have this problem, but I did not expect to lose any quality in the DVD.

I have all connections plugged into a monster line conditioner

It appears that the introduction of the receiver is the cause. Someone suggested that I get a separate video switcher/converter that will upgrade signals but that seems expensive and that why I purchased the receiver.

I would prefer to have everything pass through the component cable and not add additional lines to the TV and I am using a monster power center/line conditioner.

Any other thoughts on how I might remedy this would be be appreciated.

Neil

Neil you have the same problem like me, only you need a GROUND LOOP isolator, there are a page where you can find instruction for make this component.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/antenna_isolator_building.html

i investigate, and this is the only way to solve the problem.

GOOD LUCK and let me now your progress.

POLMS

Anonymous
Is there a cable that has s-video on one end and component Y Pr B on the other. I don't care about whether signal remains 480i. I just want to run all my s-video connections as component video through my receiver so I don't have to change the input on my receiver and my television.

Derek
No.

NF
I picked up a ground loop isolator for $15 and everything look great. Thanks

Anonymous
Would this work for Anonymous on Oct. 20.
http://www.microstorm.com/hardware/partinfo-id-497325.html

INSTALLGUY
RUNING EXTRA CABLES TO THE PROJECTOR IS A GOOD IDEA JUST FOR BACK UP AND TROUBLESHOOTING. IF YOUR PROJECTOR HAS A GOOD LINE DOUBLER BUILT IN WITH 3:2 DETECTION THAT WORKS, RUN S-VIDEO FROM YOUR RECEIVER, CONVERT ANY COMPOSITE TO S-VIDEO AS CLOSE TO THE SOURCE AS POSSABLE IF GOING MORE THAN 30FEET USE COPPERSHEILDED RG6 (2 RUNS) AND USE COAX TO SVIDEO Y-CABLES THIS WILL ELIMINATE AC HUMBARS (TRUST ME). YOUR PROJECTOR MAY HAVE MORE CONTROL OF CONTRAST AND COLOR ADJUSTMENT IN THE NTSC MODE (S-VIDEO) AND ELIMINATING UN-NESSESARY PROCESSING WILL HELP AUDIO (LIP SINK) PROBLEMS. UNLESS YOUR DVD PLAYER HAS AN AUWSOME LINE DOUBLER, DONT USE IT. THE BEST WAY IS TO GET A GOOD LINE DOUBLER WITH HDTV PASSTHROUGH WITH VIDEO PRIORITY SENSING. HDTV AND S-VID FROM AMP GO'S IN AND ONE COMPONTED HD CABLE COMES OUT, BUT EXPECT TO PAY $1500-$2500.

Derek
Anonymous, it might work. That's and interesting device you've found but I don't think you can derive Component from S-Video. Be careful, that cable may actually work but only on for the Infocus projector mentioned in the ad. ATI makes one just like it for the ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9700 but it only runs on that card. I actually have an ATI DVI to component adapter on my All-in-Wonder 8500-DV. When I tried the adapter on a G-force-4 4200 the card totally ignored it.

You could try it and return it. Just be aware that S-Video can't send any more than 720x480 and don't even think about progressive-scan. It WOULD make connectivity easier though.

Hope this helps.

Derek
See http://store.infocus.com/escalate/store/DetailPage?pls=infocus&bc=infocus&pc=SP-VIDEO-ADPT&tab=desc&clist=017080322b69:017080322b6b&ret=Accessories-Cables&pls5catname=Accessories-Cables.

That cable is 480i Component to S-Video ONLY.

Derek,
Can a sony STR/DE 895 do the conversion from an composite into the reciver to a component out to my sanyo projector?

I have a Marantz DVD player Dv4100 with SCART out - my Sony TV has component in's. Is there a way to convert the SCART to Component or can the amp do this - it is a Denon 1803. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i need a diagram on how to hook up my stereo reciever through, tv, vcr and cd player, if anyone could help me i would appreciate it. tv and vcr are already hooked up and working fine.just want to add the cd player and stereo reciever .thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us