Which would you buy???

Anonymous
I am looking to buy a new(first)reciever and have narrowed it down to four possible choices:

Kenwood VR-507
Sony STR-DE675
Yamaha HTR-5450
JVC 8010VBK

They all pretty much have comparable features but the Yamaha nad the JVC cost a bit more than the other two. It basically comes down to sound quality and reliability with me. Which do you guys think is the best buy?

Peter Commeyne
Don't get the Kenwood, JVC or Sony, I would go with the Yamaha. Yamaha is very reliable (just llok at the sturdy build) and sound quality is much, much better for any of the other 3 brands. Plus you'll be able to enjoy 2-channel music in acceptable quality.
You could also have a look at Onkyo, Denon and Marantz (maybe slightly more expensive).

tony ng
peter, why 2-channel music while you can have 5ch stereo music? Of course unless you have 2 very good speakers and the rest lousy.

I have the same question. But I'm stuck between
the following:

Kenwood VR-6070
Yamaha RX-V2200 or 3200
Sony STR-DA5ES

I like the price of the Kenwood. Is there something better at that price range?

Please recommend the best for up to $1,000.00

I recently bought some out of box Klipsch RP3 speakers for $288 each (plus California tax), at Tweeter. How did I do? They are the best sounding speakers I've ever owned. But they replaced some Radio Shack 15 inch woofer 3-way's. I'm a drummer, and play along with various styles, usually loud, I love heavy bass, and home theater. I'm going through a 1995 JVC RX-815V Pro Logic only receiver. Please recommend the best value new A/V receiver for up to $1,000.00. And please, also recommend surround speakers to go with the Klipschs. Do you recommend a separate powered subwoofer? Would it be ok (or wise) to use the RP3's for front speakers and a subwoofer? The RP3's reproduce stereo music pretty sweetly. And finally, what's the deal with discreet vice matrix? I really appreciate this service. I'm leary about shopping on-line. Can you help me feel at ease? Happy Holidays.

I'd say you're better off with the Yamaha. It's a better product. DON'T buy the Sony.
Kasey

HENRY SERRANO
Thank you Kasey. Can you recommend other brands (and models) than the ones I mentioned? What about surround speakers, and should I use a subwoofer with the Klipsch RP3s? Thank you.

TRIEDEMALL
Peter,
Have you ever owned Kenwood or Sony? I have owned these and Yamaha. It is only my opinion but Kenwood is the best for home theater and Sony for music (2 channel). I have owned Yamaha's including the DSP A1. I have never had a Yamaha that did not have subwoofer distortion. This has been mentioned in magazine reviews also.
Henry and Anonymous, You should try various receivers with your speakers before making a final decision. There is a difference and only you can decide which sounds best to you. As you can see Peter and I have a different opinion, neither of which is incorrect, we just hear differently.
I would tell you emphatically to go with the Kenwood 6070 ($599) or lower if you can negotiate.
The Kenwood is the only receiver that I have owned that can produce acceptable base without a subwoofer, however, you will get much better depth with one.
Best of luck to you and Anonymous with your decisions. There is an excellent forum for the Kenwood on this site.

B. Moore
Henry, get the Kenwood VR 6070. I purchased mine online from Vanns.com three months ago and I am totally satisfied in knowing that my unit that cost me $430.00, can outperform receivers that cost more than $1500.00. Vanns has a sale that lasts until Nov. 20, ($438.91 with free shipping and no tax) they are also an authorized Kenwood dealer so the warranty will be honored if you have any problems. I have an Infinity speaker system so I cannot make a recommendation on surrounds for you. The Kenwood receiver is definitely the most Bang for the Buck. There is an extensive discussion of Kenwood VR 6070 on this website that helped convince me to buy the unit months ago. Hope this is a help to you.

Henry,
I would go for the Kenwood VR 6070. Biggest kick for the money, versatile and with a lot of options.
Check this thread out, so you do not have to search for what B. Moore and Triedemall refer to.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/624.html

GUYS, I AM CONSIDERING REPLACING MY AGEING SONY STR-AV970X FOR A NEW ONE, BUT I DISCOVERED THAT ONE THE BEST FEATURES OF MY OLD STR, THE DIGITALLY CONTROLLED GRAPHIC EQ, IS NO LONGER INCLUDED IN MOST BRANDS. IS IT THAT I AM STACK ON A TIME WARP AND THE GRAPHIC EQ IS OUT?. CAN A DECENT PERSON STILL GET A RECIEVER WITH BUILT IN GRAPHIC EQ AT ALL?
ALSO, I DISCOVERED THAT MANY RECIEVERS DON'T COME WITH A TURNTABLE (RIAA) INPUT ANYMORE. CAN ANYONE SUGGESTS AN AFFORDABLE RECEIEVER WITH THESE TWO FEATURES, GRAPHIC EQ AND MAGNETIC PICKUP INPUT?
CARLOS FROM DOWN UNDER

explain something for me. i replaced a pioneer pro logic with a keenwood 6.1 digital pro logic II reciever. the pioneer volume control is min-max and at 4 it will run you out of the room. the kenwood has "db" volume reading and i can turn it full blast on the same bose speakers and not be nearly as loud as the pioneer. what gives?

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG I JUST BOUGHT THE JVC RXDP10VBK AND THAT THING KICKS AZZ!~

Porcdoc
I bought a Pioneer SA-he100 600 watt rec. that was recommended by consumer reports. Its great and has 5.1/6.1 dts ,coax and optic inputs and goodspeaker management for large/small w/wo using a selfpowered woofer. It cost $228.00 on line.
I haven't purchased the recommended speaker set
yet(Bose Acoustimass 6 series 11 -6 pc set) even at about $500.00, being retired I watch the $. The
reciever works super with my old technic 3/4 way
large speakers!

Anonymous
GO WITH THE KENWOOD !!! Unless you can step up to Marantz... bang for the buck the kendwood will last longer, the sound quality is higher and the options are much more user friendly and adjustable. I ran my kendwood for years with some snell speakers all the way around and was very happy with the unit. I recently upgraded to the marantz sr9200...wow.

Anonymous
Just a thought - has ANYONE even considered a Harman-Kardon AVR 225 ? That is one sweet receiver in so many departments - looks, inputs/outputs, and so on.
It just does not have the same power rating as, say, probably the Yamaha. But believe me, with the power this baby puts out WITHOUT any hiss or cackle, you won't be asking for more !
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us