5.1 or Higher? help

Username: Rickypearson

Post Number: 1
I have A 5.1 System Right now and i would like to know if it is worth UP grading to a 7.1 or anything like that and if it really makes a difference, and could u also tell me If Psd 2.8 Speakers are worth buy for 500$ cnd for a pair Thanks alot

Post Number: 2
I Posted this befor reading the Other Questiong sorry, Egnore the other one and Help me with this Yammaha Has Released a 9.2 system and i have Quite a big room to put it in, could you tell me if i played a 5.1 surrounjd movie on it would it still change it to be 9.2. Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 563
yes, but it will be matrixed and not a true 9.2 I haven't heard of any movies released in 9.2

Username: Shantao

Post Number: 5
5.1 is really the standard at the moment in *software*. Hardware manufacturers keep raising the number of channels their receiver's will play (i.e., 6.1, 7.1, 8.1, etc.). There are only 30 to 40 titles out in 6.1 and that is not changing any time soon. Just my opinion, for what it's worth, having the extra channels does not hurt. You can set up the 6.1/7.1 receiver to play with 5 speakers (i.e., 5.1) and it probably will play better that way, since the power supply is not being overwhelmed with the extra channels. At this point, a properly set up 5.1 will sound fine.

As for the Yammie 9.2, I hope you have a big wallet since the unit is around 5000 dollars US. How big is your room? Unless it is HUGE, there are many good choices for receivers, like the yammie 1400, or Onkyo 701/801.

Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1083
I agree with Shan Tao, as I understand it.

In my opinion, the best surround sound (from a disc in the same format) is currently 4.0. It gives stereo in front, behind, and on both sides. That is true "surround sound". 5.0 adds a front center channel, which was put there, on recordings, for people who can't get stereo from their left and right channels, for some reason. But if you can't get stereo, you have a problem which that extra channels will not solve.

The "x.1" gives one Low Frequency Effects channel, to save money on the other speakers; you can't hear where LFE sound is coming from.

So, after 5.1, there seems to be nowhere to go. Except extra channels on the ceiling. No-one seems to want that. I suppose 8, 9 or 10.1 could do it. Is it worth it? Certainly not yet. There are no recordings. Even then, would there be a real benefit?

I agree about the advantages of more channels for a second room. But you might as well buy a second amp.

Post Number: 6
Thanks so much guys, that helps me:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us