Vcr-antenna in HT setup

orbit
Unregistered guest
(a) I have a vcr-antenna related question.
My old setup (prior) to HT had my antenna connect to my vcr and an RF cable connecting my vcr to TV. This used to take care of both my local channels and vhs.
Now with the receiver, I want to run the audio from my vcr to the receiver and the video from my vcr to my TV, all using composite cables. My antenna still connects to the vcr. Now do I need that RF cable to run between my vcr and TV since I already have audio and video cables running from the vcr to my receiver and TV.

(b)
I have a vcr that is 7 years old, not hi-fi but mono. When I turned it around hoping to run composite cables to my HT setup I found that there was a yellow jack for video and only ONE jack (white) for audio. It doesn't have a red jack. Is this because it is mono? How do I connect it in this case - just white to white using composite cables and just forget about the second audio cable? Does this make this vcr junk in my HT setup?
Thanks.

johnm
Unregistered guest
No, you don't need to run the RF cable between your vcr and tv. The yellow video jack on the vcr can either be run directly to the tv, or it can be run into the receiver then out to the tv (which is only useful if you have another video source connected to your receiver like a dvd player).
Having a mono vcr makes your HT setup mono. No stereo, no surround, no prologic. You can however run a cable from the white audio output on your vcr, split it into two with a Y-adapter, and plug it into your receivers Left and Right inputs. You'll then at least get sound out of both left and right speakers (but it won't be stereo, just the same sound coming from both speakers.)
I'd upgrade to a hi-fi vcr if your hooked on the VHS format, or get yourself a DVD player.

orbit
Unregistered guest
johnm,

Thanks for your feedback. this weekend I will start my ht setup. I do have a dvd player but am stuck with the vcr to run some old stuff that I have on VHS. I guess I will look out for some good bargain and buy a hi-fi vcr. By the way I was planning to run both the vcr and dvd video outputs directly to the TV. Hope this is kosher.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us