DVI to HDMI - what about audio?

Username: Xourque

Post Number: 2
Hello everyone,

I purchased a Hitachi 51" CRT projection television last week and want to make use if its HDMI input to interface with the DVI output on my computer. I plan to purchase a 30' DVI to HDMI cable to accomplish this, as the TV is over 25' away from my computer. From reading various forum postings, I do see that this will be possible with my nVidia video card, as the drivers have built-in settings for customizing the output resolution and refresh rate - and if all else fails, there is always PowerStrip.

But I do have one question for all of you. Since the DVI connection will be sending out only video, what should I do about the audio? Is there any way to get audio to go down the HDMI line along with the video? If not, my sound card has a coaxial output for digital audio, and my TV has an input for the same. How would I go about running 30' of coaxial cable? I could get some coax cable and crimp some RCA jacks on either end. Would that work? Should I use a different type of cable other than coax?

I need suggestions!

Thanks,
Tony

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13052
Unfortunately, DVI carries Video signals only. You have to use the digital audio output to connect to an outboard receiver by using a digital coaxial cable.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1367
­
"If not, my sound card has a coaxial output for digital audio, and my TV has an input for the same."

Tony, you did not provide us with a model number of that TV. Even so, I will bet you that your TV does not have a digital audio input. So you will have to do as Berny says and use an external audio system for the sound. Sorry. :-(
­

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the replies!

It's a Hitachi 51F59A.

As for the audio, I plan to run a 35' optical cable from my computer to an external audio amplifier. The TV only has digital audio OUTPUTS, which I think kinda sucks. But oh well!

Has anyone tried to run a DVI to HDMI cable with this specific TV? If so, what were your results? I've seen at least one forum posting with someone who did it, but they didn't elaborate as to what results they got.

Thanks again!

Post Number: 4
I guess I have another question - has anyone heard of a card for your computer that provides HDMI output that includes video AND audio? That would rule.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13063
Go here for news on HDMI cards

http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23416
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us