Question about Surge Protectors

mike
I have heard that ALL surge protectors have a limited life span and that eventually they will just simply die, regardless of whether they get power spikes or not. I can see it dying if it gets a powerful spike but even without spikes?! First of all, does anyone know if this is true?

Secondly, does this seem reasonable considering surge protectors like those of the Monster Cable Company are so expensive. Who wants to spend 100's of dollars on a unit that will soon be fried? That means constant purchases of protectors.....hmmmmm I wonder if the company designs them this way to force you to keep having to buy new ones. Then they market it saying, well...its better then frying your equipment!

Any thoughts or comments on this?

-mike

superfecta
It gets worse...most are useless against large spikes.Which is most likely to ruin your equipment.And ironically,you don't get alot of large power spikes from the electric company,its those spikes that come from lightning hitting the phone or cable tv or sattelite dish that fries your stuff.

mike
I live in an area where there are almost never any lightning storms and when there is the odd one (maybe once a year) it has always been "sheet" lightning, never "bolt" lightning that actually touches down.

The only other advantage I can see to them is that a lot of them filter out electrical "noise" from your system. Yes, I did notice a SMALL difference in the sound when I hooked it up, but I had to turn the volume WAAAYYYYY up and have nothing playing in order to hear whether that slight "hiss" had diminished at all. It did slightly diminish, but certainly not enough to justify spending the extra money on an extra little piece of equipment that is going to die in a few months. And by the way, I'm not using crap in my system. Im running a Denon receiver through Energy speakers, a Denon dvd player, and a Sony Tv....in other words, I know its not because Im using garbage equipment that these surge protectors arent helping anything.

So unless someone can convince me otherwise...Thanks Monster company, but next time I think I'll spend my money on a new remote instead.

-mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us