Can I get decent surround with some older components?

Username: Wader

Post Number: 1
Our rectangular family room is split into a smallish den (~ 14' x 14') so that the kids also have an activity area in the same room.

So, we've made do with a JVC 27" CRT television for years, since the two couches in this room area each only 8' away at opposing 45 degree angles. A 32" or 35" television might be slightly better, but that's a later concern: right now, we'd like to enhance the audio experience and DVD quality, plus get rid of our old VCR.

Just by co-location, I had my old Onkyo TX-903 receiver feed the television audio into a Advent Mini Subwoofer, which then went out to front L/R Design Acoustics bookshelf PS55 speakers. (Yeah, real impressive . . . I gave up my college speakers long-ago to my semi-audiophile brother - it wouldn't fit in this space, anyway!)

We drove the subwoofer and L/R front speakers in concert with the television's built-in speakers, which offered something of a filled-center within the stereo effect - it was decent for picking out details, like wind in a desert scene, without sounding like you're in a big drum.

My question is how to obtain more of a surround feel within this space and with our existing television, potentially reusing some of the other equipment, as well.

For example, would planting a speaker above and behind each of the couches, then locating a strategic spot for some center speaker by the television and replacing my stereo reciever with a multi-channel amplifier put me on the proper path to a reasonable surround effect for this small space?

I'd like to replace my current DVD player (simply a Playstation) and VHS VCR (used mainly for daily event recording), as well.

To further complicate matters, hiding stuff in the television stand would be nice, if possible. Right now, that's where I temporary placed the stereo receiver and DVD player (which is just a Playstation, doing double-duty). The VCR sits in an open shelf. So, lower profile equipment for the inside shelves would seem ideal, but not required.

I've been reading up on multi-channel amplifiers and potentially reasonable DVD players, gravitating to items with features such as the Panasonic SA-XR55 as an amp, with the Oppo DV-970HD or -981HD for DVD playback.

That left television event recording still open, which has me wondering about the quality of non-subscription DVD recorders for the TV - my spouse mostly records for next-day viewing, but also likes to save a recorded episode for later viewing once in awhile. But, if I went that DVD recorder route, something like the Oppo would seem redundant . . . though, I don't know if I could gain similar video quality in one of today's DVD recorders from Panasonic or others.

So, that's the odd list:

- Desire to reuse what makes sense, and end up with surround-ish sound in this small den.

- Would like to replace the DVD player and VHS recorder.

- Saving space amongst all final components is a plus.

Ideas and pointers welcome. Sorry this is rather open-ended, as I'm still reading here and elsewhere for options to consider.

Post Number: 4
To followup my own post, here is my current thinking on how to replace some old A/V components and upgrade to surround-style audio:

- Replace the current stereo amp with a Panasonic SA-XR55: it has all the surround capabilities I desire, with enough audio and video routing options to work with my current stereo speakers + CRT television . . . and also work with future 5.1 speakers and HDTV. HDMI is not a big concern for me (should it be?).

- To enable the surround, I'd like to know if it's reasonable to simply add center and L/R rear speakers to my current Advent Mini Woofer and Design Acoustics PS55 bookshelf speakers . . . or, if I should invest in an entirely new speaker setup. There's both quality and timbre matching to consider, I suppose.

- Replace the VCR and Playstation with a Pioneer DVR-640H-S: it can act as a standard HDD DVR, but also plays and records DVDs in most formats. Plus, I can backup recorded events from the HDD to DVD and vice-versa. There is no up-converting of DVDs or HDMI connectivity: would these be significant issues when I eventually upgrade our television to HD?

Thanks for your consideration.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1364
­
Wade, I think you're on the right track here. I would not be overly concerned about either unit's lack of HDMI support. The Pioneer is sure to have component video outputs, so when you upgrade the TV, you'll still be OK.
­

Post Number: 5
Thanks for your helpful reply, JOHN S.

The only minor twist is that I'm possibly going for a Denon AVR-1906 instead of a Panasonic SA-XR55 amp/rec, but otherwise it's all mapping out the same.

I agree on the eventual use of component connectors when the TV is upgraded - exactly as you noted.

Until that TV upgrade, it will probably be S-Video with some composite (for misc things such as the Playstation 2); the Denon up-converts composite to S-Video, which could makes this all work by simply changing modes in the amp - avoiding any such switching of lines in the television, feeding it S-Video (converted or not) from every source.

So, this is all getting sorted nicely.

Now, I need to research speakers . . . and, it seems that my current passive sub-woofer will not cut it in a 5.1 configuration, possibly. Hm.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 78
Hi Wade, as a suggestion I'd use the "Design Acoustics PS55" as rears unless you can get a matching centre. Also, if you're sticking to a budget like I normally am, maybe you should look out for refurb or demo receivers. I bought a 18 month old demo NAD t753 for half price (with full warranty), I had some problems with it so NAD swapped it for a brand new one! I remember seeing some links to absolute bargins posted in the forums recently, don't know where you're from though, guess US? :- )

Ah here we go, I've quoted the post by Hawk and the link to the thread below (someone else was considering the panasonic, and these were other options). Just been looking at his second link, there are some cheap marantz receivers there!

Mike

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/320556.html
"NAD at Spearit Sound:

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/t743.asp

Marantz at Accessories4Less:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5600

Harman/Kardon sells their refurbs through Ebay under the name Harman Direct."

Post Number: 7
It's funny, mike, but I woke up earlier today thinking the same thing for those older bookshelf speakers - meaning that I can now concentrate on new front, center and active sub-wooder components for this room. Guess our long-time 2.1 setup here had me biased for a bit.

I appreciate the NAD and Marantz links - the reasons for looking at them became more evident as I followed the local discussion in this forum, actually.

Still, I have used Denon components since the early DAT days and may find their lower-end receiver piece comfortable enough in the vein of "bang for buck" for this application. We'll see, as I'm still working with the other major spending determiner in the household to determine what we desire vs. what we will purchase for this move to 5.1.

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 80
I few years ago I had some cheap bookshelves as rears for some time, I plowed the savings into better front and centre. They were fine for movies, and at the time I listened to music in stereo only anyway.

I've never owner Denon gear, but I've liked it when having the opportunity to use it... and has been on my audition list before too. I know what you mean by the "other major spending determiner" too. I've found the easiest way to watch the budget is to be patient, have a few saved searches on ebay and regularly comb HiFi stores on the net looking for bargins. I got my speaker stands off flea-bay, both front and rear, for £60, the equivalent new models are maybe £200. I did well even by ebay standards, actually i'd get most of the £60 back by selling the budget stands I've got too. I don't care if they were oldish, they're only stands. They were in very good nick, and a quick wipe with furniture polish and they looked perfect.

The downside to picking stuff up incrementally is you can't demo it all together at one dealer and then have dealer support. Saying that, I've never needed it...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, my fledgling thinking and methods happen to pattern somewhat closely to your own, actually. Once I may have been rather puristic in my pursuits of perfect componentry . . . but now, I seek what works now and for a reasonable amount of future (i.e., investment is always a concern) and place hopefully "reasonable" consideration of aesthetics into the decision-making process.

Yes, the incremental building approach has such a downside, I've noticed. But, it's also made the overall upgrade process more careful for me, in a way. I've done much the same for photography/digital art/image processing, instrumental music/audio mixing, computing needs, etc.

Thus far, the problems have been relatively easy to discern and overcome, because most issues that crop up are isolated to related changes or updates. Rather like maintaining this living space, overall . . .

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 87
"Well, my fledgling thinking and methods happen to pattern somewhat closely to your own, actually."

Sounds like it does! Hope you don't fall into the over analysing trap that I do sometimes, that is spend too long researching something rather than trusting my own eyes and ears :- )
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us