Is this HD setup right?

Username: Aegiskleais

Post Number: 4
I want to make sure I'm doing this right, so here's the run down of components I have.

[A] Samsung LN-S5296D

[B] Sony DAV-DX255 Receiver/DVD Combo

[C] Motorola DCT6412 HD TopBox / HD Digital Video Recorder Combo (provided by Comcast)

[D] GameCube Console

===========================================

What I want out of this is the ability to have all inputing sources (HD Signal's Audio/Video, GameCube's Audio/Video, DVD Audio/Video) to come out over the Sony DAV-DX255's speakers for audio, an on the Samsung 52" TV for Video. (I like the option to turn off the Sony DAV-DX255's speakers and use the TV's Speakers if I want, or turn those speakers back on and put the audio that would come out on the TV over the surround system)

===================================

From the Coaxial, I'd hook that up to the HD TopBox's COAX IN line. To get video from the HD signal, I'd use the HD TopBox's COMPONENT OUT and run that to the HDTV's COMPONENT #1 IN. To get audio from the HD signal, I'd use a STEREO AUDIO cable from the HD TopBox's STEREO AUDIO OUT to the HDTV's STEREO AUDIO #1 IN.

To get the DVD audio, I think I merely PLAY the DVD. To get the DVD video, I run from the RECEIVER/DVD's COMPONENT VIDEO OUT to the HDTV's COMPONENT VIDEO #2 IN.

To get audio and video from the GAMECUBE, I'd run the COMPOSITE OUT to the HDTV's COMPOSITE #1 IN.

======================================

So does this sound right? Will I get the ability for all devices to put their audio over the surround speakers? Will all the devices be able to get their video out to the TV? Will my DVR be setup correctly to record channels?

I hope so! The TV is coming soon! :-)

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1357
­
1) I assume you don't care about audio through the TV's speakers when playing a DVD. You have only video going to the TV from the Sony.

2) I'm not a gamer, but I assume there's audio when playing games on the Gamecube. Composite carries video only. You have no audio going anywhere from the game console.

3) You should be OK with the DVR, but if there's a problem it's between you, the DVR and Comcast.
­

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 79
Hi guys,

Just to put in my two cents (and correct John), there will be audio from the Gamecube from all three RCA plugs, so don't worry about that.

Also, if you can, look in to digital coaxial or optical cables to preserve the 5.1 from your cable box. I am trying it and I think that it's worth it.

Stefan

Username: Aegiskleais

Post Number: 5
Hey guys, thanks for the input so far.

JOHN S-
1. From DVD, nah! The audio can go through the surround only. That's fine by me.

2. Yes, sorry. I thought Composite meant RCA (Red/White/Yellow) but I think I used the wrong terminology. The GameCube has RCA out, and that would go to the HDTV's RCA Input #1.

Stefan-
I REALLY want to preserve the 5.1, but with the specified items, I don't think it's possible.

The HDTV has a Digital Audio Out (Optical), but the DAV-DX255 Receiver/DVD only has a Stereo Audio (Red/White) that says "TV/VCR" so I assume they are INPUTS. I think with this setup I won't be able to maintain the 5.1 will I?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us