Component via SCART?

Username: Eltoro

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I have a Sony KV-29FX20K TV and a Pioneer DV-393 DVD. The TV has 3 SCART interfaces and the DVD has AV, S-Video, and Component.
Sould I just use a SCART to S-Video cable, or maybe a SCART to Component cable will give me a better result (picture quality, functionality)?

Thanks,
Tom

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1355
­
Tom, it is most likely that old Sony TV cannot process a component (YPrPb) signal, be it interlaced or progressive. That TV probably cannot even process an RGB signal--which that DVD player doesn't generate anyway.

Your best bet is to use an S-Video®SCART cable. Yes component video is better than S-Video, but the difference is not that great. You should be happy with the S-Video picture.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV632.html?id=QYeQZ99F

You could try a component®SCART cable, but I think it would be a waste of time and money.
­

Username: Eltoro

Post Number: 2
So the big difference in picture quality is going up from AV to s-video? And between s-video and YUV component the difference is minor?
That is at least for DivX/DVD movies (which is all this player is capable of).

Just for the general knowledge, do you think the difference between s-video and component will be bigger with a full HD setup?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1356
­
In my experience, the quality steps are detectable, but there's not exactly "night and day" difference, when comparing the exact same signal of course. Component does represent a significant potential improvement over S-Video. But that difference can be mitigated by the source material. On paper, component has far more potential than S-Video. After all, component can deliver video quality all the way up to 1080p. The best S-Video can do is 480i. All I saying here is that the average person with average eyes and average video equipment may not be able to tell that much difference between S and component connections with standard definition video.

"Just for the general knowledge, do you think the difference between s-video and component will be bigger with a full HD setup?"

Now we're talking apples and oranges, as in the case of HD S-Video is left in the dust. S-Video simply cannot transmit HD signals. As I've already stated, component (again defined as YPbPr) is fully HD capable and up to the present at least is the most reliable interconnect for HD video signals.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us