Connection Advice

Username: Mfronczak

Post Number: 6
I just bought my first surround sound system (Sony DAV-DX375) and I'd like some advice on how to get everything hooked up. I have the DVD player, my television and my PS2. The TV and the DVD player have an HDMI connection, so I'll use that for the "main" hookup.

In regards to getting both cable and my PS2 sound to come through the surround speakers, any ideas on how to do that? The cable box does have a place for an audio connection, but I'm not sure how to incorporate my PS2, if it's possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 62
"In regards to getting both cable and my PS2 sound to come through the surround speakers"

Just looked at the sony site, appear you have two analouge inputs only (use red and white rca plugs). So that's no video input or digital input... ouch, a bit sparce and limiting! For the ps2, connect it to the analouge inputs of the tv, and then run analouge out from the tv back to the amp. Either that or get a ps2 av cable cable you can split / peel apart like zip cord. You can then run the video to the tv, and the left and right sound to the amp. Hopefully the tv has two analoge inputs then you'll be able to do a similar connection for the cable box. Otherwise I expect you'll need to buy a separate video switching device.

To be honest (and no offence intended), I'd take the Sony back to the store and try get into more traditional components. I'd buy an entry level home theatre receiver and a pair of speakers, and then use the ps2 for DVD playback. With a little careful shopping and looking for refurb or second had components, you'd could have a far better sounding setup for the same money. From that base, you can add speakers and a separate DVD as and when you can afford, or want them.

Also, don't be fooled by the large 1000watt power claims. The amp is probably only capable of outputting 200watts on one or two channels only for a fraction of a second. It simply won't be able to output 200 watts each over all channels together. Particularly with the home-theatre-in-a-box products, the large power numbers used to sell them are achieved by lowering the testing standard. It's sort of like hopeless the waterproof classification used by some watch manufactures where waterproof to 30m means its splash proof, and waterproof to 50m means it can take a dip in the pool and not much else.

I bought one of these small Sony systems a couple of years ago while my main system was in storage. Sure it was convenient and was okay for watching movies, but it made me stop listening to music it was so lifeless and horrible. I was very glad to be rid of it, and compared to buying descent gear at clearance or second hand prices it was I felt it wasn't that great value for money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us