Home theatre setup in small apartment

Username: Nhart1001

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1
I'm planning on setting up a small home theatre system in the 11x15 living room of my apartment. I started with a 32" Samsung LCD and after a good amount of research (including lots of time scouring this forum), I settled on the Athena micra 6 speaker system.

I now need a receiver. I have about a $400 budget and am leaning toward either a refurb/dealer demo NAD T743 or a new H/K avr 245. What is everybody's opinion of these receivers (and others ) with my current setup?

Also, I'm completely new to home theatre so any addition setup/installation tips would be very welcome.

thanks for the help!

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1094
Nathan:

Sounds like you have done your homework.

Both the NAD or the h/k are excellent receivers--both have plenty of good power and are well built. Which one works best with your Athena micra 6 speakers largely depends upon which sound you like better. To my ears, both are warmish sounding receivers. but the h/k is much warmer (and a tad darker) than the NAD. I have not heard the Athena system, so you may need to try them out with both receivers to see which one you like the best.

Good luck!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12511
I've used NAD paired with Athena and it is a pairing that really works well.

Username: Nhart1001

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 2
thanks for the advice! I'm leaning toward the h/k because I've had a hard time tracking down a NAD (refurb or not). I'm sure I'll be very happy. I've also decided to swap my 32" Samsung for a 40" (only $200 more - why not?)

thanks again for the help

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1097
Nathan:

Check this out:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1174158120
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help