Connecting Samsung DLP to SonyDream System and dvr cable box

Username: Wmr71

Tucker, Ga Usa

Post Number: 1
Guys,
I am definitely not an AV guy. However I bought the 42' Samsung DLP last year as well as the Sony Dream System. I have recently upgraded to the Comcast DVR box that has an HDMI port. My Samsung has 1 HDMI port as well. I recently went out and bought ultra 600 monster fiber optic as well as ultra 600 component cables and I am trying to figure out how to correctly connect the cables. I had the rcas from the cable box to the tv and the hdmi from the sony dream system to the tv before dropping some cash for the Monster Cable products.

Here is what I want to accomplish:

I would like to be able to watch tv with the audio to be coming through the sony system. The way it was set up it only had the surrond sound when I had a dvd in or if it had a cd in it.

Please advise as I have gone to Best Buy 3 times to get it right but it still doesnt work.

OK...zipping up flame suit for the Best Buy part. I know it was dumb but I thought that it couldnt be this hard....

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Atlanta,GA

Tucker, Ga Usa

Post Number: 2
Mods....I'm sorry but I may have posted this topic in the wrong section. Move it please if so.

Well I think I may have solved my problem. I hooked the HDMI from the TV to the Comcast DVR. I also ran the component cables from the dvr to the tv. I then hooked up the fiber optic cables from the dvr to the sony dreamstation.

Does the above seem like the absolute best way to have hooked these components up based on the products available as far as the cables go. I just want to make sure that I am maximizing the connections for all 3 components.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1313
­
william, if that HDMI hookup is working well enough you don't really need the component DVR®TV hookup. But since they're already there, there's no harm in it.

"Mods...."

HaHa---we're all alone here......Upload
­

Tucker, Ga Usa

Post Number: 3
John S,
Thanks for the reply. So are you telling me that the component cables from the tv to the dvr are not needed? Is the HDMI, from the DVR to the TV, and the fiber optic cable, from the dvr to the dream system, all that I need? If so then I'll exchange or even sell the component cables if I dont need them.

Thanks again in advance,

Mike

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1315
­
"Is the HDMI, from the DVR to the TV, and the fiber optic cable, from the dvr to the dream system, all that I need?"

Yes. As I said before that is provided you have no glitches with the HDMI hookup.

Take those over-priced Monsters back!
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us