What's 7.1 ????

Will
Hi All,

I know what's 5.1 & 6.1 but I don't know what's 7.1 , in 6.1 surround ex is included but what's the setup of 7.1 ???? Can anyone help me out!

TRISTAN
i cant explain it fully but it is a new surround format that isnt going to come into play for quite a while yet as 6.1 hasnt fully turned everyones head as yet and 7.1 is still really in the testing stage im not sure how they work that one out but i imagine it would be a centre side channel for side speakers in a set up. i wouldnt worry too much about it yet its quite a way off, i personally havent seen any 6.1 soundtracks on dvds yet apart from the THX ones i presume they have 6.1

Eddie Bauer
Wrong.
5.1 is just surround speakers.
6.1 adds one surround back speaker.
7.1 adds two surround back speakers.
Eddie

Derek
Actually, there is no such thing as 7.1. It isn't a standard because there are no sources with discrete 7.1 sound. 5.1 and 6.1 sources are available from Dolby and DTS.

Usually 7.1 refers to manufacturer's marketing where 2 additional channels are "derived" from the 5.1 mix. That's not discrete though. Some manufacturers may have 7 amps in a receiver so you can switch to back surrounds or side surrounds. Yamaha has been doing the 7.1 thing (it used to be front surrounds) for at least 10 years.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
actually there is such thing as 7:1 and now there is such thing as 10:2 suround sound(i just finished studying it), but like every1 said it is still along way off and not compatably with almost anything, sony is the one to talk about it with, it was only really invented for the future of movie theatres

Username: Sandiego

Post Number: 6
as far as I know there are no formats supporting 7.1 discreet. the best you can get is 6.1. However, if I had the money I would go with the 7.1. It will cost quite a bit more for unless I'm mistaken there are no HTIB's supporting more than 6.1 so you'll have to buy an expensive receiver and then piece it all together. Dolby IIx will be able to matrix not only 5.1 tracks but also 2.0 tracks into 7.1. It will not be the true 7.1 experience but it is supposed to sound pretty good. Just my two cents

Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 4
There is a such thing as 7.1, my reciever is 7.1. But what is 10.2 where do the 3 extra speakers go?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us