Considering purchasing a Onkyo home theater system.....Please Help!

Username: Naamang

Post Number: 2
I recently purchased a Sony DVPCX995V 400-Disc DVD Mega Changer/Player and am concidering purchasing Onkyo speakers for it. I am new to home theater and am not sure what to go with. The specs for the Sony DVD Changer are as follows:

Outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 component, 2 S-Video, 2 composite, 1 coaxial audio, 1 optical audio, 1 multi-channel, Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel output.

I am looking for something in the $500-$750 price range.

Also, how important is a reciever? Couldn't I simply use the DVD changer as the output source to the speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11785
You may want to check out other speakers other than Onkyo. They really do not sound good at all. What else is availabel in your area? Are you okay with going the internet dealer route?

A receiver will be needed for you to be able to listen to this unit. It does not come with a built in amplifier for connecting to speakers. so, a receiver is very important.

Username: Naamang

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the advise Berny.

I've been doing some research since my last post and now have my eye on the Klipsch RF-5 5.1 surround sound system and am deciding on if I want to power them with the Denon AVR-2807 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS receiver. I know, quite a bit higher price bracket than I was originally wanting to pay but what can I say......I'm catching "The Fever".

Anyway, the speakers have good ratings and many positive reviews. So I guess the question is, is this right for my application and am I ready to shell out $1950 for speakers and $800 to power them.

So which receiver will give me the best sound using the Sony DVD Changer as the audio source? Does anyone own either of these receivers? If so please give me your opinions on their performance. One selling point for the Denon is, being able to pass 1080p high-def video signal via HDMI but my Sony DVD changer only up-scales to 1080i so I don't think this will be of any benefit in that respect.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anyone could give me about these or another reciever

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11803
For the Klipsch I would recommend the Pioneer Elite. Hands down! But that is imposing upon you my personal preference. If you have a chance to listen, do so. You might prefer the Denon, and only you can tell.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us