Need advice, and criticism if deserved...

Username: Roger_ramjet

Post Number: 1
Greetings kind people. This is my first post, and since I could't find an introduction forum...please allow me to introduce myself with this post. I have lurked here many times, and I find most discussions very helpful and the members seem to be a knowledgeable bunch.

I am a true stereo guy, but I recently purchased the new Oppo DV-970HD universal player. I am looking to upgrade to a decent surround system, but I don't have alot of money, but I have an idea. I currently own two Stereo amps. A Rotel 200W per channel, and a Phase Linear 250W perchannel. My preamp is of course Stereo, and I need a component that will accept the 5.1 analogue inputs for the SACD and DVD-A. I am looking at a Sony STR-DA555ES with the 5.1 inputs, and a preamp out.

I have all the speakers I would require...so I'm wondering if I can hookup the Oppo to the Sony via the analogue inputs, and hook the sony preamp out fronts to the Phase Linear, and the rears to the Rotel amps, and have the Sony power the center speaker. My main speakers have 2 built in subs in each one, and can be hooked up directly using lowlevel lines and switched so the speaker wire input has no bearing on what the sub reproduces.

Does this sound doable? Can I just use the volume on the Sony...and it will power the center, and at the same time increase or lower the volume for the fronts and rears? My logic tells me it should. I can't think of a better way of doing thisa except spending a small fortune on a mutichannel preamp...which really isn't in the cards from what I have seen around. Is there a better way that anyone can think of. I'm married with kids now....so the budget is what matters. I know I can't get a component that is on par with the rest of my system...but I don't consider surround sound as important as stereo either. I would like to somehow keep my Rotel preamp in the chain(it has a phono stage I need) without doing a bunch of ic changes just to listen to my vinyl or redbook cd's.

All thoughts, suggestions, and criticism is appreciated.

Cheers,
Ray

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11633
Hello and welcome:-)
They are all doable. But are you set on using the Sony as the main handler of your entertainment system?

Post Number: 4
definitely not set on anything. I just happened to notice that these ES receivers have both 5.1 inputs, and a preamp out. What are you thinking?

Cheers,
RR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11634
I am not very confident of Sony's line of AV receivers even with their well touted ES line. If you are used to the Rotel, I think that going the Sony route will do you an injustice.

I'm thinking along the lines of Outlaw Audio 1070. A very wonderful receiver that can handle the things you want it to do, specially if you prefer the sereo sound. The only drawback is that it does not have a phono input, but you indicated that you will used the Rotel pre-amo for that duty so it shouldn't be a problem.

Then there is also the Pioneer Elite series, a well made receeiver as well and I believe much better than the Sony ES line. Some models will also have a phono input.

All these units will have pre-amp outputs to enable you to use outboard amps.

Post Number: 5
My last response doesn't seem to of been posted.

I am a little worried about goin down to a Sony or even a Pioneer for that matter from a Rotel....but like I stated before...money is a problem now, but it wasnm't the case when I first put this system together.

I like the Outlawe unit you suggested Berny. Little pricey for me at this point.

I have another query....since my main concern is 5.1 SACD and DVD-A(maybe, jury is still out on this one)...then why can't I just get an older...higher end dolby prologic preamp(processor) that has 5.1 inputs and 5.1 outputs? Then I can let the Oppo do the decoding...and still have a quality unit as a preamp. maybe I'm way off base here....but can't the older prologic units just allow a passthrough of the signal without turning into prologic?

Cheers,
RR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11641
I understand...I was basing the recommendation on the Sony that you were planning on getting so I thought it would be within your price range.

What is your budget? And how many power amps do you have?

Did you also take a look at the Outlaw Audio 970 pre-amp? You can use this as your pre/pro along with your other amps.

You are right on the SACD and DVD-A...although they are great formats, it is still evolving, can you say HDMI and HD??? I don't know which way that one is headed. But getting an older pre/pro with 5.1 inputs and outputs is not something I would do. Pro-Logic is not a discrete format as its main use was to extract a surround matrix from stereo signals, I just think that it is rather unbalanced (even the Pro-Logic IIx). Have you looked at any Pro-logic pre-amp? I don't remember seeing one that has 5.1 inputs on a Pro-logic ONLY pre-amp.

Check out some used equipment as well, they have great deals out there. Look at audiogon.

Post Number: 6
I am looking an used gear at this point, as I feel it's the best way to get decent audio without breaking the bank.

I am not set on my budget yet...it really comes down to bang for the buck. I would like to keep things under $300 for this component, as I still need a center speaker.

I have two stereo amps. one is 250/channel, and the other is 200/channel. I have other amps that I could use for a center channel if need be.

My oppo has HDMI, and it upconverts 480p to 790p or 1080i...but it says it will allow the dvd-a ansd sacd to travel on the hdmi also if I have a processor that has hdmi compatible input....but I know a unit like that is gonna cost bucks.

I understand that getting an old prologic is not the best solution...but don't they ahve the ability to just take in the 5.1 and pass through the signal through the 5.1 outputs to the amps with volume control capabilities?

I haven't looked at any units...other than online. Like I said before...I'm nowhere near any kind of decent audio outlet.

I have bben chwecking for used units with the 5.1 inputs and outputs...but it's not easy when the descriptions in the old units are so vague. I saw a marantz(I think the # was av-60) that had the inputs and outputs...but it was never built with a remote. I'd hate to go back to those days of no remote control.

Still lookin....

Cheers,
RR
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us