Setting up PVR, DVD and Plasma with HDMI board.

Username: Thomasg

Youngstown, OH USA

Post Number: 1
I've read some other threads on this but I am still stuck. I will be purchasing a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK in the next few weeks. I am trying to figure out how to set up my system with a PVR from my local cable company with a single HDMI output, a Panasonic upconverting DVD player with a single HDMI out and the plasma with a single HDMI input. Is a splitter in my future? Do I need to purchase a second HDMI input card for the plasma? Thanks for any input. It may be a simple solution, but I don't want any surprises when all the gear arrives.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1166
Is a splitter in my future?

No, but there may be a switcher in your future. There are some relatively cheap HDMI switchers out there.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001 &p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2&style=

Do I need to purchase a second HDMI input card for the plasma?

That would solve the problem, but is it my understanding the Panasonic HDMI add-on cards are in very short supply. Maybe it's because they are switching over to HDMI 1.3.

I remain skeptical about those "upconverting" standard DVD player's promise of "near" HD picture quality with 480 media, particularly when displays like this Panasonic promises "1080p Digital Processing" upconversion on all video sources. Personally, I would compare the DVD player's PQ with HDMI vs. progressive component before spending extra bucks on switchers/cards/cables. We're talking a different story when and if you buy a true Hi-Def blue laser player in the future.

Youngstown, OH USA

Post Number: 2
Switcher, splitter... too much new terminology for me. At least you know what I meant. I would tend to agree with you on the upconversion. But I've heard some positive comments on this type of player and since I already have the player, it makes sense to give it a shot.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're thinking that it makes sense just to use component video through the DVD player and HDMI input to receive the HD broadcasts, right? Worth a shot, but I'll never know whether or not HDMI improves the video from the DVD or not. What do you know about the HDMI 1.3? I am unfamiliar with the numbers.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 298
Why not just get a Panasonic TH-50PX60U that has two HDMI inputs. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4091955

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1167
If I'm understanding correctly, you're thinking that it makes sense just to use component video through the DVD player and HDMI input to receive the HD broadcasts, right?

Yes, especially considering you have to shell out $110 for even the first HDMI hookup, since no digital inputs come standard on this TV.

Worth a shot, but I'll never know whether or not HDMI improves the video from the DVD or not.

You will if you test it out first by playing the DVD through both HDMI and component and comparing the pictures. You may not see all that much difference. Incidentally, it is unclear to me if there's more than one slot available for HDMI expansion on this model. On second thought you could ditch the composite and S-video (no big loss) for a second HDMI.

What do you know about the HDMI 1.3? I am unfamiliar with the numbers.

In a nutshell HDMI version 1.3 is sort of "future proofed" at least for the next few years. It features highly expanded digital video and audio bandwidths that far exceed the needs of any consumer A/V product in existence today. Panasonic is most likely selling HDMI 1.1 cards for this TV, which is fine since version 1.1 readily handles HD video as well as the normal Dolby Digital and DTS audio.

http://www.hdmi.org/about/faq.asp

That said, Casey brings up an excellent point here. Why are you buying this "professional" model that
  • comes with no stand
  • comes with no speakers
  • comes with no tuner, NTSC or ATSC
  • has limited connectivity

It seems to me that you could get the PX60U model Casey cites for about the same price with the two HDMI inputs already there. Furthermore, the picture quality is identical, as far as I know. True, the interchangeable input slots on the 9UK kind of future proofs it, but it'll be a long time before any average consumer will outgrow the connection set of the 60U.

Youngstown, OH USA

Post Number: 3
You may be right about the picture quality, but I think the jury is still out. Though I could not find any direct comparisons between the two, I did find some subtle differences in general such as the ability to display picture in picture, lower power consumption, etc. It seems some of the reviewers on the TH-50PX60U complained about reflectivity issues whereas I found none of those complaints with the TH-50PH9UK.

I do like the flexibility and the "future proof" features of the expansion cards. Furthermore, the things I don't need are a stand (it'll be wall mounted), speakers (come on, do people really use the tv's speakers for home theater?) or tuner (Haven't seen an over the air broadcast in 10 years. We get 3 whole stations around here and none very good)

One more reason is that right now, Panasonic is offering a $100 rebate through January and VisualApex is offering a 5 year warranty at no additional charge through the end of December.

So, I think I'm sticking with the TH-50PH9UK and going with the additional HDMI card and like you suggested, maybe pulling the composite card. Thanks for the info on the connection. My current set up is composite only (not even S-video) so I think whatever I get is gonna knock my socks off!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1169
Well Tom, it looks like you've done your homework and know what you're getting into. I do like the minimalist "business only" look of this display, and it should look impressive on your wall. Video performance should be top-notch, given its 16-bit digital signal processing (the non-pro units Panasonic makes have either 12 or 14 bit processing, I think). It also has easily accessed advanced video settings so you can tweak the video much more than the 60U. I'm not sure how practical the picture in picture feature is given its lack of tuner. But then I pick nits....PiP was never a thing I found much use for anyway.

The rebate and warranty extension are good things. The warranty appears to be coming from Panasonic, and I'd be interested in its terms and exclusions. But again I pick nits. The price is right.

Once you get this panel setup with an HD signal on it, your socks will be knocked off. Good luck.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1172
BTW both the 8UK and the 9UK are reviewed on Audioholics. The new cards (or "blades") should be installed before mounting the TV as it's near impossible to do it once it's on the wall.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/panasonic-TH-50PHD8UKp1.php

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/panasonic-TH-50PH9UKp1.php

Youngstown, OH USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the additional information. If all goes according to plan, I'm ordering it next week. I promised my dad I would have it before Ohio State plays for the national championship! Go Bucs! I'm glad I'm not in Columbus this weekend!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1173
Some say this OSU/Mich game is the national championship. Even though OSU is favored, this is not going to be an easy one. This one will be in HiDef and I can't wait. Columbus is a big town and I won't be within 6 miles of the stadium, so there's no problem there. Go Bucs!

A preview of my party fare.....

Upload

Youngstown, OH USA

Post Number: 5
Looks good. Have fun!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us