HDTV or Projector?

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 724
Ok boys, I know I'm not in the right forum but over in the projector section they can go days or months between posts. Here is what I posted:
"Ok. This section of Ecoustics gets about as much attention as grass gets in the desert, but we'll see. I currently own a 48" widescreen Mitsubishi HDTV. I am looking into replacing it with a projector setup. I know NOTHING about projectors or screens. All I know is that I would like to increase my screen size and a projector SEEMS to be the cheapest way to go. My questions are as follows: 1)Is a screen really required or can I use a flat white wall as a screen with similar results? 2) How large of a screen size can I get if the projector is mounted approximately 12' from projected wall? 3) How much difference in quality is there between a projected image as opposed to conventional tv? 4) What are some trusted brands and who should I stay away from? 5) Are projectors mainly for sports bars and auditoriums or can they have impressive results in a home theater?
This area of home theater is very interesting to me and something I would like to pursue, as long as my expectations are met. I've been browsing and it looks like there are many directions I could go. I've seen them as cheap as $600 and as high as $3000. I don't watch tv 10 hours a day but would like something reliable. Also, what about gaming? Do video game systems put any undo punishment on projectors?
As you can see I'm at a crossroads here. I'm just salivating at the thought of a 7' screen size and getting it under $1200 or so. Is this worth it? Thanks!"
So any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 285
$1200 for a 7' TV, if it were that easy we would all have one. What are your expectations for the picture? If you want a great picture in the $600-3000 range stay with rear projection TV, LIke a Sony 60A2000.

Bronze Member
Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 30
Hi Paul,

I'm with Casey, here. There's Bigger, there's Better and then (for a lot of money) there's bigger AND better.

Most of the projectors that can offer you the brightness and detail at the size you want cost above $4000.00. That said, there are some very good 720P projectors with a very good brightness level that can give you a big size and a bright image with some good resolution.

For a screen, check out this report on a DIY project. Projecting on a white wall means that you have no light absobtion at the borders and texture in the wall usually shows up in the image, which is NOT desireable. http://www.projectorcentral.com/diy_screen.htm

Check out this projector or others like it from Infocus or Epson:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/mitsubishi_hd1000u.htm

Good luck!

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Silver Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 103
Paul check out this guys set up https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/278846.html

he prep'd his wall to use as a projector screen and i believe that projector he is using is under $3000. i deffinately have seen some cheap projectors that look like crap. judging from his pictures his looks pretty good.

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 725
Thanks guys. I see I'm probably not going to get what I was after. Rod really has an awesome projector setup. Far more than I can afford. I guess I'll have to be happy with what I have for now. Down the road a dedicated home theater room will definately be on my Xmas list. Thanks again though.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us