Connecting old sony surround sound speakers to new receiver

I have a pair of old, 5 years old, sony tower front speakers and want to connect them to my new av reciever, Denon 1700. The tower has an RCA connection in the back only and the receiver takes stereo wire, no RCA connections for speakers on the back of the receiver.

Question: How can I hook up those towers to my receiver? is there an adapter out there that I can use to connect rca to stereo inputs?

Anonymous
you sure its RCA, or is it for Banana Plugs?

vince
it uses rca cables, just like the ones used for input/output.

Simple to do. Basically, the RCA input is just a different type of connection--the flow of current is no different.

For each speaker, get a decent RCA cable. Cut off one of the plugs and strip the two wires. Then connect the bare wires to the receiver and the RCA connector to the speaker.

Two VERY IMPORTANT things though: 1. The bare wires can NEVER touch each other. You'll have 4 in all--left positive, left negative, right positive, right negative. If they touch, you'll have a short circuit and possibly damage the receiver.

2. Make sure you keep the polarity correct. It doesn't matter which strands you use to connect the first speaker, but you should do the exact same thing for the second one. Typically, the wire will have two conductors, with one of them being marked somehow. Personally, I always run the marked wires to the positives--for me, it's just easier to remember. If the polarity is incorrect, the speakers will be out of phase.

Does that help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us