Composite video via coaxial cable

Username: Pngatlin

Post Number: 1
I have a tv that is separate from my dvd player. There are several coax cables that run through the wall from the entertainment center, where the dvd is located, to the tv. The dvd player has a composite video output and I need to run it to the corresponding input on the tv. Since all I have is RG6 coax cable to transfer the video signal, I tried just putting an f connector female to rca male adapter at the terminating ends of the coax. However, the tv is not detecting a signal. Since all I'm doing is transferring a video signal, do I need a modulator in this case? If so, is there anyway other way in which I could avoid using a modulator given my setup? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1155
Patrick, this should work. Since, as you say there are several coax wires, are you sure you are connecting the adaptors on both ends of the same coax wire?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1156
And to state the obvious, you should be selecting the right input on the TV.

Username: Pngatlin

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reassurance John! I figured out that I had not stripped the RG6 correctly, but I finally got it working.
On to another problem...I am upgrading to HD and since I cannot directly connect my DTV set-top box to the TV, the HD video signal(s) have to be carried along the RG6 coax cables mentioned in the 1st post. My HDTV (Samsung TX-R3079) only recognizes an HD signal when it comes in through the component or HDMI port. Can component (Y/Pb/Pr) signals be carried along the coax?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1162
"Can component (Y/Pb/Pr) signals be carried along the coax?"

Yes, but obviously there needs to be three separate cables in use, and those coax wires have to be terminated with RCA type phono connectors on both ends.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us