Bose Acoustimass 10 Alternatives

Username: Carlos101

Post Number: 1
First of all, good evening and thanks in advance for your help, appreciatted!

I got this set of Bose speakers from my sis; and was dissapointed to hear some not-so-good reviews about this speakers; anyway, I have a few questions:

1- I believe these speakers are the first series, are there any major differences with the sound quality against the newer series ?

2- What receiver do you recommend? With a budget of 400$

3- Should I get a receiver that supports optical cable to hook it up with my computer? (I'd like to do so since I recently purchased a real good sound card)

4- I read the sound quality might not be as good, any chance adding a synthesiser might help? How about adding another subwoofer?

Again, thank you all for your help.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11375
1. No, just a new marketing campaign.

2. Look at the Pioneer VSX 816.

3. Totally up to you.

4. A synthesizer will not help I don't know where you got this idea, but a synthesizer is not for improving sound quality.

The best thing to do is sell the Bose...don't worry you will still get a good price for them. Use the money to buy a different set of speakers.

But listen to them first. Who knows, you might actually like them.

Post Number: 2
Thank you Berny!

I went to Circuit City and bought the Pioneer VSX-1016TXV; since I coudn't find the one you suggested, also thought this one would be a tad more advanced. Do you know of any major differences between the one I just purchased and the one you suggested?

However, the front speakers work fine, but the back surround speakers HARDLY produce any sound. And the center speaker is totally MUTE. I switched the center speaker to one of the front ones and it worked fine. My sis had these speakers in storage for a while... What do you think the problem might be?

And I gotta agree with the people that are dissapointed with the subwoofer strengh for the Bose Acoustimass 10.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11386
I was going to suggest the VSX 1016 but I was trying to conform to the budget. :-) Glad you picked out the 1016...no differences in sound just better features.

As far as the speakers working, the rears do not work all the time, totally dependent on the source and how the audio was mixed by the audio guys. So if you do not hear any sound from the rear speakers it does not mean it is not functioning properly.

Check the set-up first before thinking the center channel is not working. Analog stereo will not have sound at the center and at the rear.

Post Number: 3
I found what the mistake was, I had set the receiver to analog stereo and woudn't recognise the other speakers (I'm still learning) I gotta say this Pioneer VSX 1016 kicks butt. The Bose speakers are also great! However, still kinda needs more bass power. Would it be a bad idea to integrate an extra subwoofer or do you think a synthesizer would work better? If so, what subwoofer or synthesizer do you reccomend?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11414
It would not be a bad idea to integrate a powered subwoofer with your system, as the bass output of the Bose is really horrendous.

Check out the HSU STF-2. http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Username: Shamuchef

Post Number: 1
i sold my bose 321 after realising the sound was not what i was looking for. i now have polk rti10 for the front and polk csi3 for the center and polk psw 12 for the sub. iam going to replace the sub when i get more mad money next month, also i kept having to reset the bose all the time. and i had the one that had the composite video ( terible )

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 446
Carlos, a synth will not and cannot improve the "sound" of your Bose. The supposed shortcomings of the Bose are in the small paper cones alleged inability to reproduce certain frequencies. Its not that they are not receiving signals in that range, it is that they cannot output them. Disclaimer: I say supposed since I do not actually own Bose. I think you might actually mean an equaliser anyway, though not being a mind reader I cannot know for sure... I agree with Berny, having a powered sub would cover half the issues most people have with Bose anything. Usually the reason this is not done is because of compatibility issues with the run-o-the-mill HTiB config of most Bose systems (the crappy sub Bose uses is passive and therefore the rx's output is powered, which won't do pleasant things to an already powered sub).

Post Number: 4
Yes, sorry I meant equalizer (Sorry). I'm used to a very strong bass on my sound systems. And a ultra cripsy sound with help from an equalizer (Depending on the type of music I'm listening to of course)

What equalizer do you think would you recommend with a budget of 250$ or around?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11466
Look at AudioSource and if you like your music loud, look at Cerwin Vega speakers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11467
or Klipsch
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us