AVR - Help me decide!

Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 4
I just finished my home theater in my basement. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738056 I am using a Denon AVR 1400 DD ready receiver with a Panasonic DVD changer with DD decoder, and movies are excellent. Anyway, I have been researching receivers, but don't want to spend more than $350. I have it narrowed down to 2 receivers. Onkyo TXSR503 ($169 refurbed) and the Jamo AVR 793 ($340 new & shipped). You can see the specs for the Jamo here http://www.qualifi.com.au/index.jsp?page=961 I am not looking for HDMI switching, but component ins/outs would be nice. (none on the Denon) Just looking for some guidance and/or opinions if it worth a inexpensive upgrade, or stick with what I have until I can make more of an upgrade?

Bronze Member
Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 14
Hi Thom,

I don't think I would give up on the Denon unless it isn't offering you enough Digital Inputs or something else that you find necessary right now. Both of the receivers you mentioned are a step down in terms of power vs. the Denon.

While I can understand that you don't have need for HDMI switching at this time, you're going to find that even mid-level receivers are starting to offer HDMI switching capability. When you see a receiver that offers HDMI switching (Like the Onkyo 604 or 674) don't think that you're paying more JUST for the HDMI functions- you're also getting more power and, often, more alternate digital inputs.
If you really want to replace the Denon, take a look at the Onkyo 604 or 674- you won't take a huge step down in the power department, and you'll improve your connectivity.

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Post Number: 5
Caleb - Thanks for the response. I am not sure about the step down in power comparing the Denon and Jamo. The Denon is rated at 65 wpc and the Jamo at 120 wpc. It also has Toroidal amplifiers, which seem to be able to make more total power also. The Denon doesn't offer me any digital inputs or a digital decoder. I actually connected another reciever that I have. It is a Yamaha 5230. It has a few digital inputs and a digital processor. The sound seems a little thinner, but more detailed. There is also a substantial difference in the surround processing going from Pro Logic to DD. I'm not saying it sounds better, but I'm also not saying that it doesn't. After making the change, I guess I'm looking for a little more "headroom". I currently have the crossover on the Yamaha sub set at approx 100 hz. It thumps a lot harder with the Yamaha. I'm actually getting some vibration in the room now that I will have to correct. Again, thanks for the response. If the Yamaha isn't cutting it, I'll either switch back to the Denon, or bite the bullet and upgrade. Someone on the AVS bulletin board purchased the Jamo reciever, but hasn't responded to a message yet. I really wish someone would have some info on it. I guess I may have to be the guinea pig.

Bronze Member
Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 17
Hi Thom,

I'm embarrased that I didn't notice your Denon's lack of digital processing. *Insert humble looking emoticon here* I think I was just typing and thinking too quickly. Didn't mean to give you a half-thought out response. Sorry.

Power Ratings: A touchy subject. The fact of the matter is that it is tough to know how much power you are actually getting. To say that a receiver puts out 110 watts per channel is easy, if you don't include any details. What about 110 watts per channel into all 7 channels simultaneously driven through the entire frequency bandwidth??? That's information one could use.
The point is that the marketing gurus at all of these electronics manufacturers know that people think 100 Watts per channel is a lot so anything higher than that must be a WHOLE LOT of power. So you need to take those ratings with a grain of salt. Harman Kardon's 55 WPC will handily outperform many of the 100 WPC receivers you see.

Jamo is a speaker maker (and a pretty good one at that) I don't know who is making these receivers for them but I don't know that they are manufactured by Jamo- so can you really put their name with the receiver? Only time will tell- it sure looks nice, though!

It weighs in at 28 pounds, which is indeed respectable. My Onkyo 703 weighs about the same, if that tells you anything (it tells me that the Jamo is looking pretty attractive) I would love to hear that there is another high current receiver on the market with that kind of price point. Keep us posted, please!

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Post Number: 6
Caleb - Thanks again. I also was typing faster than I was thinking. The Jamo is rated at 135 wpc @ 6 ohms and 100 wpc @ 8 ohms. I understand the marketing of power, not necessarily power itself. And, the very first reciever I ever bought was a Harmon Kardon 330i, and I bought it for the reason you stated on their wattage ratings. Thanks again for the dialogue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us