Putting non wall speakers in wall - will it work?

Username: Kingkong86

Post Number: 2
I am also looking to get a home theater for around 400-600 bucks. I like the Onkyo as they are in my price range and liked by many. I want to put my speakers into the wall and then cover with a grill. Bose sells nice in wall speakers with paintable grilles but they will put me over budget and I an totally stupid when it comes to what is needed - midrange, full range, etc. I think the HTIB will dummy it down but I do not want speakers everywhere. Will the added fake grill destruct the sound since they are not the actual grille??? Help.

Username: Kingkong86

Post Number: 3
Anyone have any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11362
For that budget you will have to make compromises.

Or you could always go to partsexpress.com and shop around for deals on inwall speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 122
In wall speakers may look good but they are a severe compromise in sound.

I would suggest stand alone speakers for best audio quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 13
Hi Mike,

If you need to put a traditional box speaker in a recess in your wall, then plan on using a speaker with a sealed enclosure. While this won't eliminate the issue completely, it minimizes the potential for some bloom in the midbass region that is commonly associated with "muddy" sound Many smaller, satellite speakers are in sealed enclosures- just be sure to check whether the speakers you are intersted in have a port or not.

In-wall speakers have advanced some in recent years and offer pretty outstanding audio quality. For hard-core music listeners, they often leave a little to be desired in the midrange region- male and female vocals aren't quite as true to life- again, this is a rather subjective viewpoint. If keeping the speakers "heard and not seen" is just as important as the sound quality you get, I think that an in-wall is a great solution- especially for home theater and TV watching. You can find outstanding in-wall options for as low as $300.00 a pair. That
In-walls can be extremely easy to install. It's the in-wall wiring that is trickiest. If you have that done already, you have the lion's share of the work out of the way.
Hope that helps!

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Username: Skuipers

Post Number: 1
My living room is 24' L. X 12'W.X 8' H. I have a Technics SA-GX690 receiver. What sub should I use? I can only spend $300.

Username: Bill75103

Tx USA

Post Number: 1
go to proacostics and look at their in walls they are the best

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11823
What qualifies them as "the best"? The best compared to what? Can you quantify that?

Tx USA

Post Number: 2
I have no idea what make them the best other than sound quality and the way they are made just go look at them and you judge

Tx USA

Post Number: 3
I have the pro acoustics 555 as a center speaker and the 4 of the 8300's and right,left and suround hooked to a yamaha 1600 with a ps 12 sub

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11843
Not intending to be mean, Bill. Just trying to establish a baseline on your preferences to sound. What other speakers have you heard to compare the pro-acoustics? Are these internet only deals?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us