Watts? what does this mean?

Username: Jen1965

Post Number: 1
I just bought a system that says this:
100 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 40Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.8% THD
100 watts x 5 min. (2 Front, 1 Center, 2 Rear speakers) RMS, into 8ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD
Please what does this mean? Is this dvd,reciever w/ 5 speakers & a subwoofer,a 500 watt system? I see on other boxes 720 watts or 500 watts total power,,this just said 100 x 2 min. and 100 watts x 5,, what did I buy? Please explain,,, Thanks,, Jen

j. vigne
Unregistered guest
Jen - Didn't the salesperson who sold this to you explain anything about it?

Let's see if I can do this quickly. Watts are what drive the loudspeakers to create sound at a certain volume. The government says the amplifier manufacturer has to state the power the system will produce so you can compare different products in a meaningful way. Since that regulation was passed back in the early 70's manufacturers have gone out of their way to create descriptions that defy anyone from making a valid comparison. Your amplifier has 5 channels; and, when you ask the power supply in your amp to drive all 5 at the same time it can produce 100 watts to each speaker and at 1kHz (1,000 Hz) it will have no more than 0.8% total harmonic distortion (an insignificant amount). If you ask the amp to drive just two speakers (which, I would guess, you will never do) the amplifier can still produce 100 watts but this time the specification is given for a more difficult frequency range (the 40 Hz) than when all 5 are working. You will still hear all the music at all the frequencies on the CD or DVD when you drive all 5 speakers. RMS means root mean square and is simply a measuring device. You have a 500 watt system and it will play just as loud as a 700 watt system. To explain more would take a very long answer. Listen to your system and enjoy. If you want more information try the responses to "Harman Kardon" under the "Home Audio/Amps" section of this forum. Does that help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us