5.1 Channel Input

Username: Smarty_knm

Post Number: 1
Recently I bought a Amplifier which has DTS,Dolby,Ac-3,DSP but with 5.1 Channel Inputs and with out option of Co-axial or Optical Cable Connection on my Amplifier.
And I do have a Sony DVD player which has Co-axial Output but not 5.1 channel Input .
As I am very New to Home theatre and went throught various web pages to find solution still more confused then earlier,
I require suggestion from any of you to solve the problem.

As of now,I have 2 solutions in my mind after doing research on Internet:

1) Whether I need to change my DVD player similiar to my Amplifer where I will have 5.1 Channels.(Hope,I will be able to find decent DVD player with 5.1 Channel Input)
2)Or Buy a Decoder to convert 5.1 channel input into Co-axial/Optical as shown in the this below link but looks pretty expensive(>$100)

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&AID=10274033&PID=440939& product=9468&subcategory=136

If I prefer to choose Options 1) then will I get Decent Audio Quality ..Is it still in Digital format of listening the Music or Option 1 will be in Analog format ??

Last Option but least, Should I need to go for New Amplifier which has Co-axial/Optic Output by selling my brand new AMplifier.

Please suggest me what will be the best solution....

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1281
Either 5.1 channel and co-axial or Optical cables will give you 5.1 sorround sound. It is surprising that you have an amp that has 5.1 channel, but not a digital input. You should look into those things before buying a receiver.

At this point your options seem to be returning the receiver if possible and getting another one or else buying a DVD that has 5.1 output.

Username: Rajsree

Post Number: 1
I have the same problem, I have a Sony DVD player with Co-axial n Optical out no 5.1 o/p and my receiver has only 5.1 i/p.

Is there any other decode available in the market other than Creative DDTS 100?

Pls suggest !!!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11629
What is your budget?

You can either change your DVD player to one with 5.1 analog outputs or get a receiver that has both 5.1 analog and digital inputs.

Don't bother with a decoder.

Username: Roger_ramjet

Post Number: 3
What receivers are these that don't have digital inputs? I have never seen this. If anything...most receivers have no 5.1 input..only digital inputs.

Cheers,
Ray

Username: Rajsree

Post Number: 2
Hey Guys thanks for the suggestion, I think I will change my DVD player to one with 5.1 Channel o/p.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us