Denon AVR1506 w/ Definitive Tech ProCinema60 System, any good for $1k?

Username: Pigwarrior0352

Post Number: 2
Trying to keep it in the $1000 range, I think this should at least blow HTiBs away? the frequency responses (60Hz-30kHz center and 23-150Hz sub) appear to be very good and the watts the speakers can handle (150) are pretty decent i think.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11069
That is a decent set-up. You may also want to check out the Pioneer VSX-816 or 1016. Works well with those particular Def Techs.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the response. Do you mean decent, as in slightly impressive, or slightly aweful? I am looking at the recievers now...just for my own personal knowledge, what makes the recievers a better match for the speakers.

Post Number: 4
I guess I said decent first, but I barely know what I am talking about here...all I did was read alot of these posts all day, thus I also know much weight to give to you advice...which is alot. The Pioneer 1016 looks like the best choice, offers alot of room for expansion plus some real differences in technology over the 816 to justufy the higher price. I am also guessing that the watts are in a kind of sweet spot, enough power to fully use the speakers and not enough to be able to blow them (or I have no idea what I am talking about) but it makes sense in my head.

Post Number: 5
ok, Pioneer VSX1016 w/ Def Tech PC60, how decent is that? for slightly more then $1k :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11072
Decent, as in those particular speakers are great for home theater and works well with Denon, but plays better with the Pioneer. More than anything it is a matter of personal choice. I've heard the Def Techs with the Pioneer and I really like it. I thought the Denon just did not give it enough "liveliness" with music although I thought it worked well with music, albeit a little sibilant.

The thing is, Greg, it is imperative that you listen to the set-up yourself, if at all possible. A lot of people would also like the Denon Def Tech combo, and you may be in that camp as well, you just wouldn't know until you listen.

The wattage output is not something I am really concerned about as both will provide enough power to the speakers but that is just part of the equation. Do not take too much stock on any mass marketed receiver's advertised power rating...it is not a good point of determination as to how the product will live up to your expectations. It is what the teeming masses look for when determining a purchase, a poor way to make a choice.

Post Number: 6
OK, good to know. Also, I have in fact listened to the Def Tech speakers with the Denon at Best Buy, its where I got the idea from, I thought it sounded fantastic, I don't know what Pioneer Receivers Best Buy carries though, will any Pioneer reciever do for testing purposes?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11076
I believe that the VSX 1016 and 816 are carried in Best Buy.

Post Number: 7
I am leaving right now to go listen and compare the set ups, thanks alot for the input Berny.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11085
No problem. I am interested in what you end up getting. Keep us posted:-)

Post Number: 8
They didn't have the Pioneer 1016, so I listened to some $1400 Pioneer reciever instead, the Elite VSX 84TXS, sounded noticably better then the much cheaper Denon. I suspected the difference in the actual audio part of the Pioneer would be very similar to the Pioneer you had recomended, and the price tag would be for other add-ons. I am looking at their website and its seems I was correct except for a few extra wpc, which as you said isn't a big deal. So I suspect I did get to hear what the Pioneer 1016 will sound like. I think you are right about the lively sound. I would describe the Pioneer as sounding warmer, more feeling, and the Denon to be cold in comparison.

Post Number: 10
I bought the Pioneer 1016 and married it to Def Tech ProCinema60 speakers...i dig it, alot. thanks for the guidance. I also got an Optoma7100 projector, building a theater in the basement...goodtimes ahead.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11168
Good times, indeed :-)

Have fun!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us