HD to play surround sound through my HTIB

Username: Sammyuser

Post Number: 7
Hey,

I know this is more of a digital cable question, but this forum was so nice and helpful in the past that I couldn't resist but ask again!

Ok. I just got my digital cable installed, and the HDTV looks great on my 50" DLP samsung. No problems there. I'm renting the HD box (through Adelphia), which also has DVR. It looks like a pretty standard digital box to me, with lots of plugs in the back.

My question is how do I go about sending the digital audio to my Home-Theatre-In-A-Box, so I can listen to HD channels in surround sound (when available)? This is a basic two-part question:

1) Do I need a cable from the HD box to the HTIB, or from the TV to the HTIB?

2) What type of connection is needed? (optical, component, HDMI, other..)

Thanks a ton guys, I suck at this stuff!

-Paul

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10317
1.) You can go from the HD Box to the HTIB, if it has the outputs.

2.) That depends on the output capability of your HD Box and the Input capability of your receiver.

If the receiver has HDMI inputs and outputs you can connect from the HD box to the HTIB and then to the TV.

Post Number: 8
Berny- With your example in the final line, that setup would require my HTIB to be powered on in order to watch ANY channel, would it not? If I understand correctly, you're saying to remove any direct connection from the HD box to the TV.

I'm hoping to have a setup that doesn't require my HTIB to be on, unless I want to listen in surround sound.

Thanks man!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10321
If you want a set up that does not require you to turn on the HTIB, then you connect the HD box via HDMI direct to the TV.

If the HD box has an coaxial digital or optical audio output, you can connect that to your HTIB to get surround sound.

Post Number: 9
The HD box has a plug labled "Optical SPDIF", but it doesn't specify whether it is in or out. Can I assume that it's an "out" plug, or could there be any reason to have an optical "in" plug on an HD reciever?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10349
It would have no reason to have an input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us