How can I record from hdtv cable box to vcr?

Username: Filmkr27

Post Number: 1
Since I've upgraded my cable box to receive hdtv signals, I'm unable to use my vcr as I did in the past. my cable company suggested I get a new vcr that has component in and component out but can't seem to find those anywhere. This is crazy that I wouldn't be able to record anything now. Is there a solution? I have an explorer 8000 hd. thanks for any assistance

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10216
Check your cable box if it has composite video outputs and analog audio outputs. It is usually color coded in yellow.

However, a lot of HDTV broadcasts are copyprotected and you won't be able to record them anyway. Unless you have Tivo.

Post Number: 2
There is a video archive output, which lets me record to my dvr and then transfer it to my vcr, but that's an extra step. My hdtv box is a combo dvr and hdtv receiver. HELP. Would my tv have outputs that would allow me to record from the tv the vcr?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10222
Whether or not your TV have outputs is something you can determine yourself. Take a look and see if it has anything on the back that is marked "Audio Out" and "Video Out".

If it does, then you are in business.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 255
Try composite video (yellow) and audio out of the cable box directly to the VCR in. Set the VCR to accept the line input and you should be in business. You will record the HD channel but only in 480I.

Post Number: 3
There is no composite out, there is only a video archive out which requires that since I have a dvr for me to record to my dvr and then select copy to vcr. I'm looking for a direct way. I was told by one of the representatives of my cable company that since hdtv is using a composite signal -- it can't be shared with the vcr unless I have a vcr that has composite inputs.

Post Number: 4
There is a monitor out on my tv and I connected that to my video in and got nothing. Am I doing something wrong, what would the monitor out be for? does anyone else have adelphia/time warner cable with dvr?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 257
Phil on the cable box do you have YELLOW RED WHITE connections. If yes hook this up to the VCR and select line input on the VCR and record what ever channel your watching in 480i.

Post Number: 5
Yes, it's called vcr archive and that function only works when I tell my dvr to copy to vcr. The hdtv is on Video 6 and my vcr is on the main channel 3. I need to get the vcr and the hdtv signal in the same place. If I want to record as I have before, I have to reset my box to SD and not HD, so the signal is not through the components, but that defeats the purpose of having an hdtv box. thanks for any assistance

Username: Tlgh

would like to know if i am able to record to my vcr from a standard receiver from cogeco .....or a hd receiver have both thanks miss my shows

Username: Msvara

Post Number: 6
What about the coax output from the HDTVPVR? I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDPVR Explorer and there's a coax out that can be connected to any type of recording device. Connect it to the VCR's Coax input and set the channel to 3.

Post Number: 7
I have to ask the dvr to "copy to vcr" in order for my yellow/red/white connections to function. I've asked my cable company and they are afraid of people copying hdtv signals. I've asked crutchfield and no luck as well.

Username: Hyena

Not to hijack this thread, but are you even able to use the "copy to VCR" function on your DVR? I have an 8000HD and my outputs on the back are nonfunctional.

Post Number: 8
Why would you be hijacking -- it's the same problem. Yes, the copy to vcr does work -- if you are connecting via hdtv (with the composite cables), when you do copy to vcr -- the picture will be on channel 3 -- not the same video feed that the hdtv is on. If you are not connecting via hdtv -- the function is useless and unnecessary because you can just do a play and then record. This is what my problem is -- the vcr archive that is in the back is only functional when you do the copy to vcr and I want to be able to record live tv and it doesn't matter to me if the signal is not hdtv quality. I hope that this helps.

Username: Hyena

Post Number: 2
Thanks Phil...if I tell you exactly how I had it hooked up, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

The TV is a HDTV connected to the DVR via composite outputs. The VCR was connected to the DVR through both the top row of red/yellow/white outputs (to Line 1 on the VCR), and also the 2nd row of red/yellow/white outputs, which are labeled "archive to VCR" (to Line 2 on the VCR). The VCR was then connected to one of the red/yellow/white inputs on the back of the HDTV. On both Line 1 and Line 2 we couldn't get a signal at all.

When the program we wanted to copy was selected in the DVR's menu, there is no "copy to VCR" option at all. This puzzles me because I have seen others talk about it regarding this same model. So anyway, we were just playing the recorded program on the DVR and hitting record on the VCR.

We even tried it "blind" by watching the DVR'd program as it was playing, and just hitting record on the VCR (on both Line 1 and Line 2 because we didn't know which would work). Again, checking the tape, nothing was recorded except a black screen.

Bronze Member
Username: Msvara

Post Number: 17
Just wondering if the signal is too high for a VCR to pickup. I use a DVD recorder which can record signals up to 480I. Here's a simple test. Run the archive cable directly to your TV or another TV and when you select record to VCR then switch to that input and see if you can see a signal. Cheers.

Post Number: 9
well my setup is with the explorer 8000 hd -- what do you have amanda? -- the archive can only be used when you select copy to vcr -- which should be an option when you get to the screen that has play/erase. This copy to VCR will play on channel 3 -- I assume that with the composite hdtv signal you are watching the tv on either video 5 or video 6 and not channel 3. What I have been doing is just resetting the box to standard definition mode and copying my programs as I'm playing them and then when I'm done putting it back to HD mode -- does this help or any questions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us