Home theatre package with a budget

Col Alfirevic
HI--We are attempting to set up a home theatre system in our house with an LCD TV, about 42 - 57", a new receiver, a surround system with in-ceiling speakers x 5, and 6 in-wall speakers in different rooms. We also want to integrate it with 2 sets of outside speakers. We've had 6 estimates and our heads are spinning: All recommend different receiver brands: Integra, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Harmon Kardan, Denon. Same with the speakers: Niles, Speakercraft, Tannoy, Sonance.. Our heads are spinning!! Is this do-able for $12,000? How do we make choices? Most of the bidders do not have showrooms where we can actually listen to these components. Should we try to buy the stuff ourselves and install it ourselves or hire someone else? Would certainly appreciate any thoughts or feedback re these brands. Col

Anonymous
Hmm, I haven't seen this level of audio stuff on this forum. Seems to more of a "my htib is better than yours" type of place. Try "Home Theater Forum". There are some real experts over there.

Anonymous
You HAVE to go listen to the equipment before you buy it. Go to stores that carry these lines of equipment and have a listen. What may be a diamond to one may me a chunk of coal to another.
I.E.- I just don't care for B&W speakers,but they are always well reveiwed. I would say your theater should be do-able for $12,000,watch for the labor cost for the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.$$$$$ The high end stores where I live also offer installs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us