Using TV speakers as center channel

I have a Toshiba 50H71 projection TV. A nice feature (I thought) was that it allows the TV's internal speakers to be used as a center channel. The TV has an RCA jack for the center input. So to go from my Teac amp to the RCA center-in jack on the TV, I need a male RCA jack on one end and bare copper (or banana jacks) on the other. I have made my own cables, bought from Radio Shack, etc. All cause interference on the picture when playing a DVD.
Isn't an RCA jack an odd choice?
What should I try next?

Well, the RCA input on your TV is meant to accept a RCA out (center) from your reciever. Not all recievers have this.

Also do you really want your tv to be your ceter channel? they are probly around 20 watts, and when watching tv, the best sound you can et is Pro logic, and in pro logic, the center spkr does 80% of the work. just some food for thought :)

Man, don't use your TV speakers for anything except to be turned off. They're always of flea-market value and they'll only stink up the performance of your real speakers.---johnnyjb59@aol.com

cheen mullins aka bluewilly
Dear Fone Guy,

Johnny is telling you like it is, I constanly
have customers asking me about this and Wheewww,
Man it really is one of my pet peeves, VERY, VERY,
VERY few tv's have even mediocre speakers in them!

Even the low end home-theatre-in-a-box speaker
systems have a better center, which is DESIGNED
SPECIFICALLY to perform the job, than tv speaks.
Also, they are "VOICED"that is to say acoustically "Matched"
to sound good together. Do yourself a favor and
unplug that tv speaker and get the correct center
channel for your system, it along with the sub is the anchor of your audio system.

Good Luck, Cheen M. (bluewilly)

I have a JVC 32" D-series, and have seen {heard} from first hand experience about the stock speakers..what a joke they are, im on a budgit and all i want is to have a clear sounding tv. Is there any quality after-market speakers that will bolt in place of the orignal ones? Also i do have two large older model SANYO stereo speakers, can they be used in unison with the tv speakers to make a [real] surround sound? one of these days i will get a real surround sound system when i can afford it. ty for any help

po
I'm surprised you didn't wreck your TV internal amplifier feeding it speaker level, high current signal. That RCA input for your TV is line-level meant to be from your receiver's center channel preamp output, not amp output. It's no wonder your TV went FUZZZ with that massive signal overdriving the internal amp.

Rule of thumb: if you have to make your own cable and it seems weird, it's probably wrong.

Whoopsie!
po

Anonymous
right on po!

I agree that if you are desperate and need to use the tv as a center channel, only run an rca cord from either the receiver if it has a preamp output, or from a dvd player with a built in dolby digital recorder which would have a preamp center channel output (RCA)

later

excuse me gentlemen, decoder in place of recorder.

Paul
I have a Panasonic receiver with a center channel output and a Toshiba projection tv with a center input. The input on the tv has a toggle switch to enable it(I guess to use both speakers) However, when I connect these it doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

Anonymous
I thought I was crazy seeing the interference when using my Toshiba TV speakers as the center channel and running my dvd or satellite receiver through my a/v receiver. I didn't realize how cheap the tv speakers are. Anyway, in 2003, you don't have to make your own cable for this hookup. The Shack and Best Buy have them in stock. I tried both thinking I got a bad cable. I'm off to buy a real center now...
Paul - you don't have to toggle the switch to 'on' to get it to work. In fact, I've found that it doesn't work, unless you leave it off.

thanks all

I got a surround sound receiver and used the speakers on my Toshiba TV as the center channel, FOR 4 DAYS. It's easy to say what the heck. You always hear people say, it only handles the dialog. Not true. I hooked up a decent center channel speaker and WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us