Hook up question from newbe

Pat
Hello,
I have a toshiba 57hdx82 tv and a onkyo tx-ds797 reciever.
My question is that the tv and the reciever both have component video connections and rca audio connections. The reciever also has audio digital connections. The tv does not. What's the best way to hook up a dvd player? Do I hook the component video from the dvd to the tv or the reciever. And the audio to the tv or the reciever. And if I use the audio to the tv will the surround system still work?
Thank you, Confused

Derek
Connect all of the DVD's Component and Digital out cables to the receiver and connect a second set of Component Video cables to the TV from the Receiver. The TV will act as a monitor with no audio.

Connect audio from the TV, typically labeled "Fixed" or "Monitor Out" to the Receiver to Aux, TV or SAT.

When you want to watch a DVD, set the Receiver for "DVD" and set the TV to Component Video. Dolby Digital will work if you connect the digital out from the DVD to the Receiver's digital in. When you want to watch TV, set the Receiver to "TV" and tune to the channel you want to watch on the TV.

Hope this helps.

i have a magnavox home theater system and i have all the speakers connected. my problem is that my subwoofer does not have a jack but the reciever does. what wires do i connect to the reciever for the sound from the tv to the surround system?

John
I just have a question about Derek's connection suggestions. I have the sound from my dvd player connected to the receiver, but the video connected straight to the tv without going through the receiver. I can see that it's possible to run the video through the receiver and then to the TV, but would that make any difference other than causing me to have to by another video cable?

John, the reason that people run the video through the recievr and into the tv is just for ease of use. For example if you plug in three S video devices into the reciever (say a dvd a cable box and a VCR) there will only be one S video cable comming out of the reciever into the Tv. Now when you press DVd on the reciever the reciever will automatically send the dvd's video to the tv and the dvd immage will come up without having to select the dvd input on the tv. It will do the same with the cable and the vcr, so the reciever switches the image on the tv automatically. thats why people run through the reciever. simple ease of use (if you dont mind the extra money for cables)

james, i have a similair problem. I have a reciever with no sub out but a sub that can accept a sub input. So different reasons but same problem. What you want to do is run the cables for the main speakers out from the reciever and into the sub. Then the run cables from from the sub to the main speakers thta you would have ordinarily connected directly to the reciever. you will have connected the sub and the speakers through the sub. now play with the cross over on the sub until you get the right amount of bass comming out of the sub and you are ready to wake the neighbors. hope this helps.

Anonymous
Help!

I disconnected my eighties stereo system components and did not leave a reconnect trail. I have some great music and my teens are looking to crack into the vinyl vault. Any ideas where to begin or order of hookup?

Here's what I have:
Bose Speakers
Sony PS-Lx3 TT (turntable)
Harmon Kardon Receiver hk460i
TEAC equalizer EQA-20
Technics Stereo Cassette deck RS818
Sony Compact Disc Player -350

Charles Graham
I have a Panisonic Home Theater System/Reciever.
TV with = RCA Audio IN.
VCR with = A/V IN and OUT.
SAT Reciever with = A/V OUT.
CABLE-TV = Anolog.

I Can't seem to get the Cable-Tv sound to go through the Theater Reciever to the speakers?
What Can I Do? Thanks, Charles

derek,i must be thick,i have connected tv/cable box/dvd/surround sound,all are working well except for surround sound.sound is the same whether i set surround sound to tv/vcr/aux.can you help......tom k

Derek
I need more information. Have you seen my March 27th post in Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up.

im Having trouble installing my receiver, and the instruction booklet is not helping me.

Anonymous
I Just bought a Philips suround sound system...I never hooked one up before.
I have a DVD=VCR together plus the Regular cable tv hook up...I tried running from the TV from the VCR and From the cable box but can't get any sound for the TV or VCR...The Tuner works perfect Lots of good sound, but no luck with the TV and VCR. Please Help..

Anonymous
I purchased a new Sony 6.1 Receiver and am trying to hook up to my speakers. I can't get any sound but 1 speaker. What do I need to do?

dear derek,

I have a RF modular and a VCR, DVD Player ,TV,Outside annetna (very Rural) and Satellite system. How do I get stero sound to work on all of componets.

PLEASE HELP

Bill
I have a Samsung wide screen tv with 3 surround sound out plugs. How do I hook up to a Sony amp
that does not have 3 in plugs, center, left and right? It only has left and right plugs.

Anonymous
How do i hook my VCR to a tv that has no vedio in or out, i have a security camera and i want to record? can you help.

Pete Marti
I have an older Bose system that was not designed to run in Dolby Digital or DTS formats. I was wondering in the interest of saving money if I could salvage my bose speakers, which are currently connected to the sub, and hook them directly into my receiver instead, and just purchase a brand new sub unit. Will the speakers blow or what? Someone please help.

Steven Parr
I am trying to hook-up a sony stereo to a 1987 toyota pick-up, I have the speakers hooked up. But my problem is that I cant get the power to the stereo. I have called Scosh industries and they told me to buy a test light and I did, I can't find the carrect wires. Ps. The person that I bought the stereo from said that it did work.

I have no idea what I am doing. This is my equipment: What cables do I need? (component,
s-video or something else) I really need a full detail description step by step on how to do this.
Equipment: Sony DVD player with progressive scanning
Kenwood Reciever without component hook up
Philips High Definition T.V.
Sony 5 speaker surround sound system
Sony sub-woofer
I have 2 optical cables
I have 1 compenent cable
and a composiye video AV cable kit

Please help. Thanks! -Tina

John A.
Tina,

The user manuals should explain. You will get a Sony version and a Kenwood version of how to set it all up. With luck they will agree!

I have a question. What if i want to connect sound from the t.v and v.c.r to the aux inputs to a c.d player, how do i go abouts doing that so i dont have to turn the vcr on to get sound off of cable?

I live in NJ, use Comcast of the Meadowlands Cabel and I have an digetal cabel box that won't allow me to watch one show while recording another on my vcr.How do I hook it up with out a A-B Switch? So I can record one TV show while watching another, or do I need the A-B switch?
Thanks for the help.

I have a RCA tv and a Magnavox dvd player I can't get to work with it. Older tv 1993 I think. New dvd player. Any suggestions please!! Tried RCA jacks.

Bruce
I have a similar problem with Brandi. Panasonic DVD will not work with 1993 Samsung TV. Any suggestions or will these older TV's not work with DVD?

Help. I have a new Home Theater System. System works great when playing a DVD. But would like to have it work with just my Cable TV Movie Channels. Please tell me how this can be done. I know that it can. I had it hooked up with my old system. Just can't remember how I did it and the manual is no help. I have a DVD Player and a digital Cable Box.

I just recently purchased a Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver. I would greatly appreciate some assitance in setting up the audio settings on my DVD player. I lost my DVD player manual. I'm hooked up with a digital optical cable.
First: PCM Down Conversion= Yes or No?
What the heck is this?

Second: Dolby Digital= Bitsream or PCM?
what is this?

Third: DTS= Bitsream or off?

My DVD player is a Panasonic. Please help. Thanks.

Donald Dodier
I have just purchased the following items:

Toshiba 32A43 (TV)
Sony HT-DDW750 (audio)

I previously own

Samsung DVD player (not sure model)
Pro Scan VCR (not sure model)

I was able to set all of this up through the Sony receiver. I ran the DVD video directly to the TV via S-video cable as the receiver only has RCA connectors.

The problem I am having is I can only hear sound when I have the audio system on. Is it OK to use Y-connectors to split up the audio? One set of cables go to the TV and the other set to the Sony audio system?

Username: Pacoban

Post Number: 1
Trying to help a friend. She just got a daewoo DVD player and comcast digital. Problem is no manuals for the tv(also no tv remote) or cable box. So according to the Daewoo DVD intructions I need to be able to play a DVD thru an Aux channel which I can't get to thru the menu options in the tv. The vcr ofcourse plays through channel 4, as does the cable box but the dvd will not play no matter what connections I use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TV-GE-Vid in, Aud L/R
DVD-Daewoo-vid in, aud out L/R, coaxial
VCR-coaxial in and out, rca outs
Thanks, Paul

Username: Project6

Post Number: 12
Bill Sheets
PCM Down Conversion= Yes or No?
What the heck is this?
PCM means Pulse Code Modulation, it is the most common encoding of digital audio, usually on CDs nad DAT. A down conversion means that when you play Dolby Digital soundtracks, the audio output signals are mixed down to only 2 channels. If you are connected via optical cable you should turn this to OFF.

Second: Dolby Digital= Bitsream or PCM?
Set this to Bitstream
what is this?
This is telling your DVD player to send out digital data through the optical or digital coaxial cable.
Third: DTS= Bitsream or off?
Set this to on to tell the DVD player to send out DTS signals if your DVD disc is encoded with this information so that your receiver can identify it.

Basically if you turn on the PCM, the DVD player is going to send out signals using the left and right RCA jacks for a stereo signal. Usually and in a lot of older DVD players, the DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 signals are effectively turned off.

Let me know if it works
cheers

Username: Project6

Post Number: 13
Paul Colsey,
if i'm understanding this correctly, the TV has a "video in" jack, correct? This jack is usually yellow in color.
If it does, have you hooked up the video out jack of the DVD player to this jack? And if you did, you should be able to go to your remote and look for a button marked to the effect of "TV/VIDEO" and when you push this button the TV should cycle from normal TV viewing and then to video and back and forth.
The VCR and cable box should be irrelevant if the DVD player is hooked up via the video cable to the TV.
good luck and let me know if it works out
cheers

knw
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DAV-FC7 home theater system. I can't get the TV sound thru the Surround sound and there no picture coming up with my Play Station 2. I've followed the instruction and I'm still unable to rectify the problems

Username: Pacoban

Post Number: 2
Berny,
I tried that. Problem is she lost the remote and the menu on the TV has no aux/tv/video channel. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I am trying to summarize what I have read further up the page so I apologize if this is already been answered....I have a Direct tv box, a dvd player and a TV. The satelite is hooked up through the S video and the dvd player is hooked up to to the tv through the component video...Here is my problem, I just recieved a Sony home theater system that has a reciever with no S-video or component video inputs (if they are there I can't find them). Do I just connect the audio from the sat. and the dvd player to the reciever and not mess up my video connections or is there something elso to do?? help...

Unregistered guest
Please help.

Just got an RCA Home Theater System. Instruction booklet does not help at all. We have Comcast(with no S video outlet), DVD, TV. How do we connect all three of these items with the receiver to work? Please help. Very frustrated. Been working on since 8am now 4:15pm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us