Weird Center Channel Question

Username: Frank1203

Post Number: 5
Ok, here comes a weird question, but I need to ask it anyway.. Does the Center Channel absolutely have to be located between the two front speakers and the TV in a 5.1 system? Here's why I ask.. Due to space limitations I am considering moving my bulky center channel completely to the opposite end of the room from where my Plasma and front speakers are located. In other words, I would locate it between the two Rear Speakers in my 5.1 system. I would still wire it to play a like a center channel, but the sound would be coming out behind the viewer instead of the front of the viewer where the Plasma is. Has this ever been done? I know the rule is that the center channel should be located right above or below the TV, but I'm trying to find better ways to organize my room without compromising too much in the way of sound.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8370
I think that would be a huge compromise. The dialogue coming from behind the listener will not sound right. Try it for yourself and make a determination.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1005
Personally, I would eliminate the center entirely before I would put it in the back. Program the processer with "no" to center and then it should route dialog and other center signals to the front mains.

But then that's just me---I hate it when people talk behind my back.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1007
Ooops, it occurs to me you can't say "no" to center...just "large" or "small".

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us