How much should be spent on speakers?

Username: Only126db

California USA

Post Number: 2
I am most likely going to buy a Yamaha RXV2600 home theater receiver and am wondering how much to invest in the speaker system. I remember there being a general rule or something about spending twice the amount as the receiver for a stereo speaker pair but that was years ago. I have not bought prebuilt speakers in years, my last set I had lasted about 8yrs (I built them).I will probably build these too, but was wondering if $4000 is too much to spend on a system for a $1400 rcvr? Looking at using scanspeak mid/bass and woofers undecided on tweets, possibly Morel. Any suggestions?WOOF= SCANSPEAK 26W/8867T00 (1-8ohm) MID/BASS= SCANSPEAK 18W/8831G00 (2-16ohm)for fronts. Surrounds and center the same excluding the woofers, most likely get a custom x-over built.The sub will probably be a Dayton Titanic 15" kit w/1000 watt amp. Is this over kill?

Username: Etaniyani

Los Angeles, California

Post Number: 1
have you ever heard of paradigm? It's a Canadian company that makes high end quality speakers at an affordable price. They have package deals on their website that are under $4000 and they sound AMAZING. Check out their website, and go to a showroom to see them shine. Just a thought. www.paradigm.com

California USA

Post Number: 3
Yes I have heard of Paradigm, I will check them out, I will be doing alot of research before I decide, it usually takes me awhile to make my purchases since I make sure I will enjoy them for awhile, my speakers I built cost me about $25 each and I could not find anything for less than $200 each that even came close! I once put them in my car as a temporary speaker system and while at a shop to purchas some subs I played it for the guy and he swore I had a 15" in the trunk! They were only 6 1/2's (2way)!! He said he never heard any 6 1/2's sound that good, thats why I am debating building my own....thanks for your input, all suggestions are welcome.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8371
We have a member here who builds his own speakers. His handle is Timn8tr and he started his own company called Alegria Audio. His website lists the drivers that he uses.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/

http://www.pi.alegriaaudio.com/FQ127.htm

http://www.pi.alegriaaudio.com/FQ127%20Plans.htm

I believe he uses Fostex, Adire, Tang Band and Aura drivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 12
mission makes an awesome home theatre in a box. I put them in my main living room cause they were small and looked well the best part they sounded amazing. and they're a great price
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Mission_M70
this site deals in them and they are awesome I was totally taken back. the company is out of the uk.

Bronze Member
Username: Compumasta

Post Number: 13
Paradigm is great for the money. I have heard as much as roughly 4 times the amount on speakers as on the reciever. Building your own is a good idea too since you seem to have experience doing so. I guess it comes down to how much you think your time is worth. It is probably cheaper but will take more of your time to build your own(as im sure you already know). Either way, good luck and show us it when its finished!

California USA

Post Number: 4
Most definately, I will show the system when I eventually figure out exactly what I'm gonna do. It may not be as pretty as others but I am more into sound than looks.Thanks for everyones input.

Silver Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 110
mr. mansfield, check www.audiogon.com
lots of high end loudspeakers from planars, electrostats to line source and dynamic systems.

speakers are your lifeline in any sound system.
It's the most difficult part of the system to choose, because there so many different approaches and design and not all loudspeakers sound the same irregardless of the price and craftmanship.
The price of a loudspeaker doesn't necessarily make it superior in sound as one HEARS it, it depends on what you like and what sounds good to you and different amps/receivers respond differently to different designs.

My personal choice are OHM speakers with WALSH coherent design or german physiks, MBL and duevel.
Planars and electrostats are my other choice of systems like martin logan, magnepans, soundlab, apogees for example.
You might want to consider HORN designs too, but many of the horn designs are outside your range unless you buy them used. Magico and avant garde are examples.

some of the unique systems for example cain and cain, mjloudspeakers, pipedreams, genesis, transmission audio and various others.
I am a collector of vintage loudspeakers that i can afford. I know from experience every system is different, not necessarily better, but different.
It's a personal choice. People here or anywhere will always tell you what sounds good to them.
You pretty much have to test drive many to find what's suitable for you. Exotic drivers, cabinet designs and specifications doesn't show all the picture. It's all about performance that is suitable to your needs.

ESS SPEAKERS you might want to check out as well.
oskar heil ribbon tweeters is what they are known for using dynamic bass drivers. They have been around since the early 70's!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us