Volume too high?

Marc
hi everyone, I have a pionneer vsx-510 receiver, when I want to listen to a dvd in DD or DTS I have to get the volume at around -35 db (it goes from -90db to 0) but when I listen to music it'll be around -70 db. Isn't that a problem, won't I screw up my receiver and/or speakers? Or is it safe? is it normal or made to be like that?

thanks

Greg Lee
The only potential problem is that the input level for the source you use for music might be too high, which could cause distortion. Perhaps your receiver has an input attenuation control you could experiment with.

marc
so what you're saying is that the music volume seems abnormal? Because my question is about the dvd being at -35 db

Marc,

There's absolutely nothing wrong. DVDs are encoded this way to provide an amazing amount of dynamic range. When you have your receiver turned way up to sufficiently hear typical scenes (like dialog), imagine what happens when you get to a loud scene (yep, the house shakes.) So why is music any different? Probably because its dynamic range isn't as wide as a typical DVD--usually, music is relatively constant. (Some exceptions might include soft passages in classical music or something like that.) DVD movies, contrarily, typically have everything from soft dialog to thunderous effects.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us