Home theater setup

Username: Scze7949

Post Number: 1
I am setting up some new equipment and am trying to figure out the best hookup for all this equipment. Excuse me for being an idiot and maybe screwing up some words.
1.I have a satelite box Dish network with Hdtv, it has 1 hdmi slot, 1 optical audio plug, component video plugs and rca audio plugs. a rca video plug and s-video plug
2. I have a samsung hdq-70 home theater system it has 1 hdmi slot, 1 optical audio plug, component video plugs, and rca audio and video plugs
3. I have a samsung plasma hps 4253 tv, it has 2 hdmi slots, 1 optical audio slot and component video slots and rca audio and video slots and about a million other slots but I think I hit the main ones I need.
1.Should I run a hdmi cable from the satelite box to the t.v and a hdmi cable from the home theater to the t.v (I think I can only get the dvd signal from that box to the tv)
2. Should I run a optical audio cable from the satelite box to the home theater and then use the rca (red and white cables) to the tv or vise versa
3. I don't think I need to use the component video slots if I use two hdmi cables is this correct or am I all screwed up.

Thanks for your help if I am all messed up whats the best route for connections

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 230
Robert you have answered most of your own qestions. HDMI carries both audio and video so there is no need to use the red&white cables. Optical from the sat box to the receiver is all you need.

Username: Scze7949

Post Number: 2
Thank You, so I just run hdmi from sat box to t.v and hdmi from home theater to t.v and an optical from sat box to home theater? any suggestions on where to get a good deal on hdmi cables as they are quite expensive
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us