Asstance with Overall System

Mystri
Unregistered guest
Hello, I've been pondering an upgrade to 7.1, but I'm not quite sure if I need to or should.

Overview of the layout here the room is about 15' wide by 20' long, and my sofa is against the wall.

Current System:
Sony KP-61HS10 - 61" Rear Projection TV
Pioneer VSX-D811S - Receiver
Pioneer DV-333 - Dvd Player
Pioneer Elite - PD-F07 CD Player
Motorola DTC6200 - High Def Cable
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III - Speakers (5.1)

Question 1: Does the field sound right when you put rear right and rear left surrounds right over your head? I can't really put the sofa in the middle of the room like you should because of the doorways into the room.

Question 2: I've been looking all over for good speakers/subwoofer. I like the Bose sound, and the look of the cubes (invisible speakers) is good, but the Acoumtimass thing is a bit of a bummer because it's not upgradeable from 5.1. So I have to start from scratch to upgrade; I would like to have wall or in-wall speakers, THX Ultra or Ultra 2 Certified (I'm pretty sure that's what I should get for my room size right?), and attractive (ie un-noticeable.) I don't think I want to go with another "kit" system unless it's REALLY nice, I would like to be able to upgrade each part as technology advances (so Wired Speakers I guess.) I've listened to a few huge floor models, but the selection is so limited in my area that I'm rather lost... Not sure if it helps, but I liked the sound quality on the Veladyne's (I'm pretty sure that's the name) and another set Teufel (maybe?), I also like the Infinity's I have those in my Durango. Any suggestions for brands to look into?

Question 3: I've been researching THX Ultra and Ultra 2 Systems, and I was wondering if I buy a THX Ultra 2 Certified Receiver (like a Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi) Should I still purchase a controller unit or does the receiver handle all of the things the controller unit does? What about Amps and Equalizers?

Thanks a bunch folks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us