I am new to this what the difference between DTS and DD

Jake
I don't know much about this stuff. Which is better DTS or Dolby Digital? I know they are both better than Dolby Pro Logic II but I don't know the difference between the two

Click the link
http://dolby.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/dolby.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=zXoC71Fg&p_lva=&p_faqid=133&p_created=1011135571&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTcxJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Greg Lee
It's arguable. Judging from the discussions I've seen, I'd say they're equal. Dolby ProLogic II can decode a Dolby Digital two channel signal, so the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Dolby Digital: Discrete 5.1 channel sound (L,R, Center, Surround L, Surround R and LFE (low frequency effects via subwoofer.)

DTS: Discrete 5.1 channel digital sound but with less compression than Dolby Digital. While much less common than DD, a purist would probably say it's technically better. In reality, it's just another format of discrete digital surround sound.

Dolby Pro Logic II: A SIMULATED version of Dolby Digital that works with any stereo source or non-DD encoded material. This is a good way to get the sound of DD from video tapes and TV broadcasts, which, by definition, cannot be encoded in Dolby Digital.

Jake
Thank you for the answers

Username: Dave_moritz

Post Number: 2
While the differences between the two are highly subjective. And this topic are a hot button in many forums. I would not go by the biased opinion from Dolby on this. IMHO on my system I have heard some good Dolby Digital tracks but mostly they sound slightly compressed and muffled especially in the center channel. IMHO DD lacks depth and clairity that DTS in most casses seems to have. I personally prefer DTS most of the time as it has better depth and soundstage. I have heard all the newest demonstrations of the different formats. Thats the nice thing about CES in Las Vegas. While both formats can give you 5.1 and 6.1 surround sound. I disagree that its just another format. This is why I feel that most dvd reviews favor the DTS track. While specifications will not always tell you everything. I think you need to trust what you hear. I do not think there is a single answer for this question. The best format is the one that sounds best to yourself. I however will take DTS hands down. The best way to tell the difference is to a/b the same movie in both formats. Some good dvd's for this are Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Lord Of The Rings and X Men 2. To be honest while Pro Logic 2 can offer surround sound from 2 channel sources, I am not that impressed and prefer 2 channel. This is not because I do not like music in surround. I just feel that music mixed for surround. Sound supperior to music simple processed as multi channel from a 2 channel source.

Anthing can be encoded as Dolby Digital as it can be anything from mono to 6 channel. That one of the things with DD you never know what you will get.

Stuart
Unregistered guest
I have a quick question involving DTS. I have a Sony DVD/VCR Player with a DTS encoder, and a Sony Surround Sound system that can run DTS. I am having a problem though. When I set a DVD, let's say Two Towers EE, to DTS surround, my player switches to DTS but I here no sound from the speakers. Also my system seems to only recognize a Pro-Logic II signal... What am I doing wrong?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Stuart - What type of connection are you using between the player and the reciever? You need a digital connection from the DVD to the reciever. A L/R analog connection will not transmit DTS.

Unregistered guest
pl tell me the technical difference in software & hardware between dolby 5.1 & dolby 6.1?

Username: 1st61

Post Number: 6
Dave, a question for you or others.
I am going to set up a 6.1 home theater and I would listen to a lot of music CDs from it. What setting I should use? The music CDs are not supposed to play to 5.1 or 6.1. Like you sit in a concert hall and the orchestra is playing symphony and you are simply in front of the stage, not like the scene in a movie. What I want is simply to replay what the music orginally was, like I was sitting in the concert hall just in front of the stage, no artificial adds-on or mixup.
Thanks.

Username: Zerohtz

Post Number: 5
Use a DSP mode on your receiver if you have it, this will re-create the simulation on being in a concert hall. These audio CD's aren't formatted to provide anything else.

Unregistered guest
I get the same results as Stuart above with my Sony DVD and Sony Surround system - using the "digital" coax between systems. My receiver always defaults to Dolby Prologic. Do I need to use the digital optical connection? Thank you in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2628
inkpot, make sure that your dvd is configured to output digital sound.

go to the set up menu without a disk on the tray. Go to the audio options and set the output to dolby digital and DTS.

Mr. DTS_Rocks
Unregistered guest
even though i am a first time surround sound guy, i did about 3 yrs worth of reasearch before i bought anything. and judging from my NICE beginners setup (pioneer 914 and polk monitor40's, polk fxi surrounds, csi3 center), i can honestly say that dolby sounds like crap compared to dts-, and the difference is ENORMOUS. TRY ANY SUPERBIT DVD AND YOU WILL SEE. spidermann 2 dts is one of the most amazing soundtracks i ever heard, with irobot coming up behind that along with LOTR.
Its just more fuller, as well as louder, and the bass is WAY more fuller, allowing you to hear minute details lost on crappy dolby digital. If they would have put oout a dts versaionof the matrix set heaven would come a lot sooner to you, i will tell you that- thta set has the best DD mix i have heard so far.
For me anyways, its literally to the point that if there is no comparison, and i tend not to buy movies if i cant get a dts soundtrack- i have movies ive bought 2-3x over just to get that beatiful thisng they call DTS.

Beleive the hype this time. and watch spiderman 2 superbitDTS version. U WILL DIE HAPPY.

-ed
DVD SUPERIORITY PROPOGANDA SPREADER AND PROUD OF IT.

Bronze Member
Username: Lazarus2297

Post Number: 17
i too am on the DTS side I am by no means a audiophile but just to my "novice ears" the DTS track always sounds better.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2659
DTS has less compression than Dolby. Probably why it is more dynamic in reproduction.

Anonymous

i am very much intrested to know, what is channels and tracks..and which is better DTS/Dolby Digital..and how many tracks are there...

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 846
A channel is that thing you watch on tv when you press the numbers on the remote control. A track is what is left after you lift your foot from the sand. There is a debate about which is better, DTS or Dolby Digital.

Anonymous

From all the DVD's i have watched. (which is a lot), I'll just say this. I have heard Dobly Digital tracks that sound great, and some that sound terrible. As for DTS, every DTS track i've heard sounds great. DTS all the way!!. It should be the DVD standard.

hem
Unregistered guest
Is it true that to enjoy DTS, the DVD player, receiver and the DVD recording, all at once, have to support it?

How about Dolby?

I am trying to buy a DVD player and want to make sure about this before i buy it.

Bronze Member
Username: Thalazy

San Ramon, California U.S.A

Post Number: 34
Yeah! You need a dvd player and reciever that both have Dolby Digital. Most if not all dvd players have DD, same with Surround systems.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1615
yea, but it depends on how old your system is. If it's 10-15 years or older, it probably wont be 5.1 compatable. Anything new should be compatable though.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 590
compatible*
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us