Individual speaker levels?

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 19
I was just reading in the manual for my receiver about setting up individual speaker levels for a surround system. Could someone explain this to me?

During initial setup I also was asked the speaker distance from my listening position and the speaker sizes. These makes sense to me but after these are set I would've thought that the receiver and DVD/DVD player would've sent the sounds to the speakers at the volumes that would provide an optimal listening experience.

The manual doesn't really explain why I should adjust individual speaker volumes or what I should set them too.

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 177
Nick, the speaker distance settings are for delay and speaker level (volume) settings are for loudness. Ideally, you need a sound pressure level meter like the one from Radio Shack to adjust the sound from each speaker to the same level. However, you can set them by ears if you don't have a meter (that's what I normally do).

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 205
I also set mine by ear and then go back and play around with them for different movies. Ex, I was baby sitting and put on Jungle Book. This a stereo only movie so I set the play back for Pro Logic and set the center for "0" L&R for 3 and surrounds for 12 and the master volume for "0". Wow when the Panther calls out for the Bear after the monkeys take the boy what an echo!

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 90
What confuses me is the decibel setting. Wouldn't setting them all to the same level make the sound from them equal?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 225
Distances for one, both the distance of cabling and distance to listener.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us