Length of speaker wire for rears

Bronze Member
Username: Trazom

Post Number: 14
Wondering if some of those of you who know much more about these sorts of things than I could venture an opinion on whether you need to have rear speaker wire length the same.

My room is such that I would prefer to run both rear speaker wire down a wall to the right hand side and then direct the wire to the left rear speaker accross the room under the couch to the rear. I would just direct the wire the right rear speaker on towards the rear of the couch. As such the rear right requires less wire. I think the left would need about 17 m and the right about 11m. Will the difference in length affect performance much (timing or quality of sound)? I have already purchased the wire length of 28m but not yet cut it into strands but as you would immagine hope it wont make much of a difference. What is the verdict?

I have a Marantz SR7500 powering Mission M35 and m3c2 centre with M31i rears, I dont have a sub yet.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 43
There will be no timing difference.

The longer the wire, the more resistance, and the more power lost along the way. Assuming you are using 8 ohm speakers, I'd use at least 16 awg wire. I'd probably go with 14 awg. The power loss difference between the two speakers probably wouldn't be enough to notice, but do a speaker calibration just in case.

Refer to the following table:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us