Dumb Question

Username: Bandwfan

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 5
I have a question, probably pretty dumb, but here goes...

I have my digital cable run through a cable box, then my tivo, then the vcr and then to the tv. I also have the sound from my TV go to my reciever so that all sounds go through my speakers.

When I watch TV and run the sound through my Sony reciever, I believe that my source that I am getting is only a two channel analog source since I am running it through a tivo. It is stereo, but I know I am not getting the digital 5.1 surround that is being sent, but that is OK.

When I change soundfields (prologic, pl II, plx, plIIx, etc, their is sound coming from the surround speakers, but it is really weird sounding. I can't describe it, but it sounds really muffled and electric and it isn't even distinguisable as to voices or anything. This same thing happened on my old Prologic reciever.

Can someone explain what this is and is it a problem, or something I have to deal with since it is an analog source?

Any thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 31
You would be better off running the audio from your digital cable box (or TiVo) directly to your receiver. If your cable box has a digital out, then you will have the added benefit of being able to listen to programs in 5.1, when available.

There is almost never a need to run audio from your TV to your receiver, and a lot of people don't even run audio *to* their TV if they have external speakers.

For a lot of programming, your surround speakers are going to have static and garbling sounds when watching TV with the various sound fields enabled. It doesn't help that you have 3 pieces of equipment (TiVo, VCR, TV) between your source (cable box) and receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 192
NBC I remember your earlier post you have the B&W 600's (nice ) with the Sony STRDE-895. This receiver is quite up to the task of accepting Video signals from all your souces and then routing them to the TV. That brings me to my question for you. What TV and cable box do have? If it's a Digital cable box then it has out puts on it to feed the receiver and what connection are on the TV. If I had the model # of the TV I would Google it and look at it myself. If its an anolog box then you feed the stereo wires from the VCR to the receiver. The Tivo sound out puts should also go to the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us