Idiot who needs help building a system

Username: Crob1977

Post Number: 1
Ok, so I've just bought a 50 inch Samsung HD flat screen plasma (HP-S5053) and I'm hoping to build something around it. I've also got the DirecTV HD Tivo box. Now I have about $3,000 to spend on all the other things I need, but I'm totally hopeless when it comes to what I'm looking for.

I don't need a mind-blowing system. I live in a condo, so when I listen to the stereo, I have to keep it at reasonable levels. Instead, I'm looking for something that has crisp sound for the home theater experience.

I know I need a receiver and some kind of speaker package. Do I need a power source like an amp? Or is a receiver going to do the job? Also, does the HD aspect of the TV require a receiver that is HD compatible?

Any recommendations for the receiver, speakers and (if needed) a power source?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 215
My first question is what is "crisp"? Second, for 3k to incl your decoder, amp, speakers, interconnects, etc, you are probably better off going with a combo receiver. I am a big HK fan myself but go see a few in action yourself before deciding. Esp in a controlled volume inhibiting condo environment, you will no have too much trouble finding a quality receiver that meets your HT needs. Speakers will absorb the majority of your costs (now that you own the TV). If you have an audio speciality shop in your area, I recommend listening to a few different set ups there, getting a chance to audition eqpt will let you make the best decision for you. If you have no alternative, you should make sure that any eqpt you buy at a big box store has a return policy that lets you bring it back for a alternate brand.

Username: Crob1977

Post Number: 2
By crisp I mean I'm looking for sharp, clean sound.

I had a chance to look at a few Harmon Kardon receivers, and I was very impressed. What's the difference between a 6.1 and a 7.1?

What about speakers? My condo is pre-wired in all of the rooms with ceiling speakers. I think - though I'm not entirely sure - that it eliminates the need for rear speakers. For now, I'm concentrating on floor speakers, a center, and potentially a subwoofer...though I don't know if a subwoofer is necessary with floor speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 216
Crisp and clean are not adjectives associated with sound, sharp is, but not in the context you're using it I think. Try not to fall victim to marketing ploys, by using non-definitive, subjective terms to hawk their wares, retailers and manufacturers create a variable lexicon that can mean anything to anyone, this way you cannot objectively evaluate their claims. Not to say that objective evaluation is not abused either, but it's just harder to fool the educated consumer that way.

OK, end of rant.

To be honest, you will have a hard time pinning down the true difference between 6.1 and 7.1, even so-called audiophiles disagree on that. However, for purposes of the average Joes like you and I, 6.1 means Front Left (FL), Centre (C), Front Right (FR), Surround Right (SR), Centre Back (CB) and Surround Right (SR). 7.1 divides the CB into two more channels, these being Surround Back Left (SBL) and Surround Back Right (SBR). The ".1", as always, remains the Sub/LFE.

For HT purposes ceiling speakers may or may not satisfy as your surround channels, it really depends on where they are with respect to the listener. Personally, I would set up proper surrounds, but never forget that you are not me, try out using your ceilings first.

Whether or not a sub is "necessary" is always debatable, but floorstanders have there own woofers built in, having a sub though will only increase the fidelity and clarity of your LFE and low freq signals it also eases the burden on your mains, spreading the work around as it were. Having said that, try it without one first and if you ENJOY the listening experience without one, then Bob's your uncle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us