The HT-S650 is being discontinued by Onkyo

Anonymous
The defects (overheats and sound quality) cannot be fixed. Check out Circuit City and you will see what I mean.

clown vomit
another ignorant post by Anonymous.

1. Overheating can be fixed by replacing factory wires with a better quality gauge.
2. The LFE problem is from a defective IC Chipset on a certain production run. Onkyo is providing IC chips for everyone who needs this fixed. (Just call a service center and refer them to Service Bulletin TR500LFE-01-VID-PCB.)
The system still sounds great and is worth the hassle of getting it fixed. They took 1 day to fix mine after receiving the part so it's no big deal.
I checked out Circuit City and I don't see what you mean.

OnkyoOwner
Clown Vomit -I just love that name!!
I checked the CC site & it looks like they are having a closeout special on the Onkyo HT S650.
This doesn't necessarily mean Onkyo is discontinuing making the system.
Perhaps it will be replaced by newer model- this happens all the time, older models get replaced by newer. IMHO the older models are far better than the newer in many cases.
The 650 system is one helluva systemf for the price-Mine is going into the shop for the chip repair next week. Can't wait to hear the difference.

Anonymous
OnkyoOwner- I am bringing mine in tomorrow morning for the fix. Yestersday I took my receipt and the e-mail I received from ONKYO to a local mom & pop service center in the hope that they could pre-order the chip before I bring the unit in to them. No luck. They wanted me to bring the unit in to verify the problem then order the replacement part. I guess I will really miss the unit for a few days.

Despite the hassle, it is still a great system.

HappyMan
I had mine repaired at a local repair shop. The guy was older than dirt and didnt seem to understand what exactly was wrong. He called me and told me all the sub outputs worked fine. I had to tell him again about the LFE problem, even though he had the bulletin from Onkyo...must be terrible getting old and forgetful. Anyhow, he ordered the part, fixed it in a day and now I'm happy.

Steve
I just bought mine a week ago,should I be worried too?Besides,sounds to good to trade.

Anonymous
Got mine back last week, it took almost a month because the service guy didn't understand what was going on, and how to fix it or contact onkyo. With english as his second language the concept on LFE was lost on him. An email to Onkyo finally got it fixed.

I guess circuit city is quicker...

Boris
I have the same LFE problem with my HTS-650. I'd like to get it fixed. Here is the dilemma: I bought the unit at Fry's electronics. Will this be a problem if I try to get the fix at CircuitCity?

Anybody has experience of dealing with CircuitCity even though you didn't purchase the product from them?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Boris, CC is going to tell you to take it to an authorized dealer. Look up a local one on the Onkyo home page.

Boris
Well, it's been 2 weeks and I've just called the repair shop. They have NOT yet received the parts!

The guy said that they had to order 2 parts (?): chip and capacitor. After not hearing from Onkyo for about a week they called them again and it appears that they needed an authorization (?).

I'm getting frustrated: the authorized service center needs an "authorization" to order replacement parts !?

Anonymous
i want to buy a hts650 in 3 weeks, is a new unit will have the same problems or onkyo fixed all the new unit?

Boris
HTS660 should not have these problems. But you are probably looking at the 650 as it is discounted now.

Anonymous
an onkyo support girl told me the hts660 will be $100 cheaper than the 650, you guys know any differnets between the two models?
thanks

Boris
The models use different speaker systems (660 uses smaller speakers). But receivers look very similar.

KC
I have noticed that the 660 only comes with 1 digital input and 1 coaxial input as the 650 comes with 2 digital inputs and 1 coaxial input. But the 660 comes with component inputs and 650 does not, so I guess you give and take for each system

Just Surfing
Maybe the 660 has one optical input on the front and one on the back plus a coax input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us