Any Advantage in using 14G wire over 16G

Anonymous
I'm going to Home depot to get some new speaker wires for my home theater setup.

Is there any advantage in going for 14G wire over 16G, or should I use 16G?

My speakers and receiver is rated 100wX6.
Speaker: 100w with 8-ohm impedance.

Anonymous
I read on Crutchfield I think, that 16 gauge is good for up to 80ft runs.

Anonymous
on Crutchfield it also says:

If you're wiring your listening room for Dolby Digital home theater -- thicker wire helps your system deliver the explosive effects of digital 5.1-channel surround sound.

I am in need of my first A/V Reciever. I'd like to spend no more than $600 if possible. I've gotten a Sony 60" LCD rear projection (only one bad pixel that I can find on the whole screen, and I can only see that out to about 12") and a set of Sony SS-LA300 speakers (I listened to a lot and, especially for the size, these really sonded good.) I already have a decent Toshiba PS DVD player. Now I need the reciever. There are a lot of postings out there and it's a little overwhelming to sift through it all.

Anonymous
I finally replaced the home theater wire to 14G. What a difference.

Yesterday I watched Bourne identity once again in DTS mode. I did not have to crank up the volume level to feel the explosive effect this time.

Also the receiver stayed noticeably cooler.

Would definitely recommend using a thicker gauge wire. I also bought some banana clips and speaker clamps, from Radioshack, to attach the wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us