HK AVR 340 PLEASE HELP

Username: Sydney

Post Number: 1
I have just purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 340 system. I appreciate that it is 55 W 7.1 and 75 W stereo. I have two speakers attached however the volume coming out is less than my 20 year old small Sony system. Can somebody please explain if I have a system setup problem, or a system problem.

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 13
Your post begs many questions. What source are you using, and how is that source connected to your receiver? Do you notice an increase in volume when you switch to the receiver's tuner?

Are you saying that even at the max volume level, output is insufficient? Or are you falling into the trap of worrying about what the volume level reads on the receiver (which varies from brand to brand and even model to model of the same brand).

Username: Sydney

Post Number: 2
I have tried two devices, 1 is my dvd player - using component (red / white connectors) and the other is my ipod via the 'bridge connection'. (I will try the tuner in the morning / my daughter is asleep

No I am not referring to the numbers on the dial. But to how much volume I have the speakers output. I have a hitachi plama which I think has 10W speakers - they seem to fill the room considerably better.

By the way the speakers are B&W CM4.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 14
You mean "composite", not "component". I would strongly recommend using a digital connection between your DVD player and receiver. If you are using analog, keep in mind that the audio settings in both your DVD player and receiver will have an affect on the sound. I'd especially check for any sound field modes you may have activiated. For instance, you want your receiver in Stereo mode.

Let me ask again. Are you turning your receiver's volume up to max and still not getting adequate volume?

Bronze Member
Username: Noya83

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Number: 16
Les,

The red/white are the lowest quality connection you cna use. Buy a 'digital coaxial' audio cable and hook it to your DVD players 'Digital output' and plug it into your receivers DVD player 'digital coaxial' connection. It looks similar to the red/white stereo analog cables your using but it is usually orange or black in color. Make sure to go into your DVD player menu and set the audio to 'digital'.

-Michael
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us