HD50LPW175 Delay settings

Username: Adessmith

Post Number: 2
I have an RCA Scenium HD50LPW175.
I have my audio from satelite going straight to my Yamaha receiver. Of course, with a DLP TV, this causes delay so I have to use the delay setting on the receiver to sync the sound. Anyone else using this tv with surround sound willing to share thier delay time (usualy expressed in miliseconds)

Im using a delay of 55ms and it still dont feel quite right, but my eyes and ears arent quite cordinated enough to help me find a good setting.

I wonder if most DLP's have about the same delay time (or if it depends on the TI chip used)
I couldnt find anywhere in the manual or on RCA's website where a delay time is published.

What TV's do you guys have and what delay times are you using?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1017
Are you able to pass your video through the receiver as well? If so you may not have to worry about a delay setting.

Post Number: 8
No, cant run video through the receiver because I am using HDMI. I could run component into the receiver but I prefer a true digital connection. Either way, I dont think that would help because the receiver would send video to the tv, THEN the tv would delay it and it wouldnt be sync'd.

You see what im sayin? or am I not following you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1020
No I see what you are saying. You are going directly from satellite to the TV probably because your receiver does not do an HDMI pass through. Makes sense. However the sync issue will probably be different for every receiver/TV combination. Try it at different setting and see what works for you. Ultimately if you can't tell the difference then you have achieved your goal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Stof,
I guess as long as the end result is that "I" cant detect a delay, then I'll be happy.
My problem is, as much as I play with the delay, I still cant find a setting that works for me.
Im afraid the root of the problem is deeper though... Im afraid signals of different resolutions create different amounts of delay... In other words I go to a true HD (1080i) station and set to a point where I am happy with it, then pop in a dvd (480p) and that setting no longer works. I will be viewing sources including 480p, 720p, and 1080i, and it seems to me that the delay is a little different on each.
Maybe it is just in my head, its hard to beleive im the first person to notice this. (BTW, once I get the delay close, my wife has no problem from one source to the next)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1025
Hmm I haven't heard that before, but there are many people whose eyes and ears are much more sensitive to A/V equipment than others so for example there are people who have a hard time with DLP projectors because they can literaly see the flicker cause by the light mirrors.

I guess your only option may be to try a test. Go to a store with a liberal return policy and buy a Denon 2807 receiver. Then pass the HDMI from both your satellite and DVD through the receiver to your TV and see if that corrects what you are explaining here. That's the only way to know for sure. If you are that sensitive to this issue, then buying a pass through that corrects it may be your only option.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I just came up with an idea.

My satelite receiver sends out audio and video signals which are synced. My TV claims in the manual that, by sending the audio into the tv, it delay's the audio at the same rate of the video for perfect syncronization... But I dont want to use the audio in my tv.. I wanna use my receiver... I just cant seem to get my delay right on the receiver...

So here is the solution... Run the Red/White audio from my satelite box into the TV while running the optical into the receiver... Let them both play and adjust the delay on the receiver until I hear no echo (delay) between the TV speakers and the surround sound.
Then change to a High Def channel and see if the two are still playing back together... Once I get the delay correct like that I will unhook the audio going to the tv.
I think that will do the trick.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hmmmm... I just realized an advertisment for my TV comes up at the bottom of this page. Looks like we got a pretty good deal on it after all. It doesnt come up on the other pages, just this one, so I guess its because the model number is included in the original post. Sneaky little devils arent they?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
Well as far as the ad is concerned, yes the site is obviously context sensitive. Though to their detriment it is not content sensitive. You should see the Bose commercials that come up at the bottom or sides of the threads where everybody is bashing them LOL

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us