Listening to TV on home theatre "surround sound" - HDMI

Username: Sammyuser

Post Number: 1
Hi

I just purchased a 50" samsung DLP, along with a samsung home theatre 5.1 surround sound system.

To connect the system to the TV, I am using an HDMI cable, which is working great for movies. However, I can't figure out how to get the TV to play through the surround sound using the HDMI connection. I was told that the HDMI would transmit TV audio to the surround sound, so I wouldn't need to buy an optical cable or anything.

The only luck I've had thus far has been attaching an included AUX cable (red and white) from the TV(out) to the DVD(in), and setting the sound system on AUX. This produces sound from the front right and left speakers, but it is not very good sounding.

If my question isn't clear or i'm missing some details, please post and i will respond shortly.

AGAIN, I'd like to hear TV channels in 5.1 (when available) with my 5.1 surround sound home theatre system, using the HDMI connection.

Thanks guys!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 181
Paul you need to use an Optical or Coaxil digital cable to send 5.1 to the stereo system the person who said you did'nt is wrong . The HDMI will carry video and sound to the TV but you need to send a Digital cable from the DVD to the receiver and also a digital cable from your cable box to the receiver.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 932
paul, you fail to mention where your TV signal is coming from....antenna, cable (set top box?), or satellite.

Also, it seems to me you are expecting the TV's HDMI input to function as an output as well. That won't work.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 933
Sorry Casey, our posts crossed. Since paul has supplied no model numbers, we can only assume his Samsung sound system is a standard HTIB with the DVD player built in. This would explain why he has no problem with movie sound.

Post Number: 2
Appreciate the replies, Casey and John, and sorry I wasn't more clear.

samsung TV: HL-S5086W
samsung theatre: HT-DS1000

My TV signal is just coming straight out of the wall right now, although I expect to be getting HD this fall.

Since the red-white cable only produces a grainy sound from the front speakers, and it sounds like the HDMI won't go both ways, I'll need an alternative. Would I be best off getting some kind of component audio cables, or going with the optical cable?

Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 176
Think of it as water running through pipes, it doesn't go both ways. Your HDMI (overrated in my opinion) can only be decoded by your receiver if the sound goes through it. So, it will only work if your receiver has an HDMI-in, and video out to your TV, - OR - go from your TV audio-out to your receiver, either way you need another cable, which is what HDMI is supposed to be eliminating...

I doubt your TV has digital audio-outs anyway, so really, if you want 5.1 from TV, run a digital coax/audio cable from your cable box to your receiver. Even a HTiB has at least one digital audio-in.

Post Number: 3
My TV has a Digital Audio Out (optical) plug.

The DVD player within the HTIB has 2 Digital In (optical) plugs.

Will this cable accomplish what I need?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005K2T7

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 182
Yup... you might not need 6 ft though...

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 934
Sorry paul, but you are out of luck concerning any digital audio for any of your TV channels.

My TV signal is just coming straight out of the wall right now

There's no way you can hear any sort of digital audio signal, given your no cable box signal source. Yes, you can hook up an optical cable from your TV to the Sammy receiver, but it will not yield any sound. The point is that your straight cable hookup (no cable box) cannot give you the necessary digital signal you desire.

For the time being, you will have to be satisfied with your analog audio hookup. You can use any simulated surround settings that may be available on your Samsung receiver for any analog audio signal input to it.

Post Number: 4
Wow, that makes sense now (John). I guess I thought that audio signals could be transmitted without a digital box, but audio and video are transmitted together with digital, soo.... what was I thinking..?

EXCEPT, that I have a buddy with the exact same TV and a similar JVC surround HTIB who had the same problem, and was advised that he purchase an optical cable. I know his cable is also coming out of the wall, and I was there when he got sound coming from the TV out of the speakers. He claims some programs even come through in 5.1 (LOST, for example).

Is there any explaination for this? I'll double check with him too.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 938
So your TV will pass an audio signal out through its optical output. To the best of my knowledge however, that signal is not the Dolby Digital signal you need for true 5.1 surround sound. In other words, that signal is analog stereo. Your buddy's JVC HTIB probably has some simulated surround settings that would yield sound from all speakers. Your Samsung HTIB seems to lack those, except for something they call "Magic Sound Field" which the owner's manual doesn't explain very well.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 184
Somehow I missed the lack of a set top box... you know what "assume" does...

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 182
Gentlemen the Optical output on the TV is only for the built in Digital TV tuner (ATSC) in the TV. You need a roof antenna fed down to the TV through RG6 coaxil cable to antenna in on TV and do a search in the menu to find the over the air FREE HDTV stations. Then and only then can you send an Optical cable to the receiver to receiver Dolby Digital 5.1 on the shows that are using it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 188
Yea Casey, this is all known and acknowledged, I thought he had a set-top box.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 183
Micheal I should have only have adressed Paul, I didn't mean to sound like a know it all. It's just that I've seen so many questions about HDMI to the TV and people trying to send 5.1 out of the TV from the optical out. I know you understand this , but the statement was meant for those that do not.

Post Number: 5
If and when I get a set-top box (an HD reciever), will I then be able to get TV in 5.1?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 943
Si Señor!

Most digital cable boxes have an optical or coax digital audio output which you would connect to your surround receiver.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 944
I should add some channels are 5.1, certainly not all.

Username: Adessmith

Post Number: 3
Yeah, it seems to me the fact that hdmi "transmits audio also" was meant to just get the sound and video from a source, to your tv set. If your are using the speakers in your tv that is great, otherwise its kind of a mook point.

Post Number: 6
I see what you mean Adam... I currently have no use for the audio capabilities of HDMI since I have the surround sound.

I'd like to add, it's amazing how much even a mediocre surround sound system adds to the home theatre experience when watching movies!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 206
Yup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us