HK AVR520 setting up 2nd room w/o addtl amp?

Username: Daleyo

Havertown, PA USA

Post Number: 1
I have an HK 520 and use it to run my 5.1 home theater system. Sounds awesome and everything runs thru it (cable, DVD, iPod, etc). I want to also use it to drive outside pool speakers (only about 30 feet away) without buying addtl amp (if possible). I was told by an HK exec that I could use the remaining 2 channels of the 7.1 to drive these speakers, but cannot figure out where specifically to plug these speakers in, or how to configure it. Would like to use multi-room option, if it doesn not require an addtl amp. But don't have to, since the pool area is just outside the basement where the home theater is. THANKS!

Bronze Member
Username: Shovelhead

E.Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 13
Sorry Dale, but I don't know the answer to your question.
This is right off H/K website;

[QUOTE]
Question:
Why didn't you include an A/B speaker switch in this unit?

Answer:
One of the reasons for purchasing this unit is to take advantage of the Multi-Room feature. Because this unit has the Multi-Room feature, there is no need for an A/B speaker switch as well. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
Question:
What, exactly, does the Multi-Room capability give me?

Answer:
The Multi-Room capability is a great feature. It is very similar to an A/B speaker switch, but gives much more flexibility. This unit has a second preamp built into it. This allows you to watch/listen to any source (DVD, VCR, CD, TAPE, etc.) in your main room, while someone else listens to another source in another room without disturbing you. This requires one additional component - an external 2-channel amplifier to power the speakers in the second room. If you also wanted to enable control of the system from the second room, you would need a remote repeater (part #HE1000A), available through our Parts Department. [/QUOTE]

Bronze Member

E.Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 14
Here is a link to the part that you need. Why not do it right. It's pretty inexpensive.
http://www.harmankardon.it/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=EN G&cat=ACC&prod=HE1000A&sType=C

Havertown, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the thought. I saw that. But I would never be running both at once, at least different stuff (i.e. movie in one room, pool music in the other) I would EITHER have music at the pool, or in the basement, or the same thing going on in both. So maybe they over-engineered it. I really don't want to have to buy another amp.

Bronze Member

E.Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 15
I know exactly what you are saying Dale about them "over-engineering" a very simple process... I use the A/B speaker switch on my Yamaha receiver to do exactly what you are looking for. Good luck, and maybe somebody will have a simple solution for you.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 179
You don;t need an amp for the 630/635... I doubt you need one for the 520. Check out your advanced-select menu, and set the "sb amps" to "mr sp".

Then go to multi-room set-up. You do need an additional IR sensor to use the multi-room remote OUTSIDE of the receivers range, but without it you can operate the multi room function from the room with the reciever, you justn cannot change channels out of that room. In the multi-room set-up switch multi room to "on", multi-in to whatever you want to listen to, and "multi-volume" to the desired vol.

Havertown, PA USA

Post Number: 3
Great! Thanks! Where do I plug the outside speakers? And what does "sb amps" and "mr sp" mean? Thank you!!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 202
surround back, and multi room speaker

look on the back of your receiver, if it is anything like the 635 (I don't honestly know if it is) then you have 7 channels , FL, FR, C, SR, SL, SBR, SBL.

The SBR and SBL are the ones for the multi room function. So plug the outside speakers into SBL and SBR and set the advanced menue and and multi room set up via the on-screen display.

Havertown, PA USA

Post Number: 4
THANKS! I'll check it out!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us