Question regarding HDMI usage

Username: Angryman

Post Number: 1
Hi there, I'm new to the whole home electronics technology stuff.. I know a bit, but I am more of a computer guy.

Anyways.. my question is this.

I was more or less talked into getting a new TV.. we needed one, but I mean talked into regarding certain features. It's a 52' Toshiba DLP, and I quite like it, however I don't think I'm using it to it's full potential.

After spending the money for it, there wasn't much room to buy any extra "new" stuff other than component cables and stuff. So I'm still using my previous DVD player and amp/surround sound, etc.

My TV has 2 HDMI connections available on it which go in at the back, however I have no devices that can use that just yet. I was wondering a few things:

1. Is it worth it to purchase these new DVD players with HDMI outputs? Is the quality that noticeable?

2. More importantly.. HOW DOES IT WORK!

I'm quite dumbfounded on how exactly the HDMI idea is designed to work with your TV. I'm by no means a moron, but I've thought of this scenario in my head and don't see how it's done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you have one cable which has both audio and video (or at least in theory). Now why would I plug in (if I had a DVD with HDMI out) the cable directly to the TV when the TV only needs the sound, and any 5.1 is wasted on the TV?

Basically, how do you get the "uncompressed" video into the TV, and the "uncompressed" 5.1 audio into the reciever/amp with 1 cable connection? This concept just isn't clicking in my mind.

Sorry if this has been asked before or if the answer was so simple that I should've known.. I just feel like a total moron when the guy was trying to explain it to me but he didn't sound like he had a clue about it himself.

Post Number: 2
"when the TV only needs the video".. sorry about that!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 135
Basically, how do you get the "uncompressed" video into the TV, and the "uncompressed" 5.1 audio into the receiver/amp with 1 cable connection?

A: You can't (with one cable connection). To expand a little: HDMI is really only a convenience if your going to have audio run out of your TV. You're "stuck" with 2 cables, one vid to TV, and the other audio to receiver.

1. Is it worth it to purchase these new DVD players with HDMI outputs? Is the quality that noticeable?

A> Depends... (sorry, but it does). Depends on what, you ask next? The quality of the DVD player you currently own. With respect to video, first of all, you're unlikely to notice a difference between HDMI/DVI and component cables. So, does your current DVD player run with component outs? Second, you now own an HD television, congrats; they truly enhance the video experience. A lot of the newer DVD players can be found with an upconvert feature. So, assuming your current DVD player is progressive (and if it ain't, all the other discussion is moot, and you DO need a new player ;-)) you can play your 480p discs at 720p or 1080i. While there is little to no diff to my eye between 720p/1080i, there is DEFINITELY a noticeable difference between 480p and 720p/1080i. You can find upconverting players for starting at 200& (and obviously this goes up) but even the 200$ ones are well worth it in my estimation. Further, if your current player is a high quality player, you may indeed be better off keeping it, even if it's "out" is not HDMI/DVI. I will unashamedly quote myself: "A really good DAC (digital-analog converter) is a 14-bit at 108 MHz VIDEO processing, most of the standard players use 10 bit @ 27mHz." So compare notes with what you have, and what's available out there for what your willing to pay. Just don't confuse the numbers of the video DAC with the audio DAC (assuming your going to keep your non-HDMI/DVI player). Obviously, if your going to use an HDMI/DVI out, then you bypass the video DAC.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the response.

To answer your question, yes, both my digital cable box and dvd player run on component. My DVD player is a progressive scan piece of crap, so I do intent to have it replaced eventually.

I've never really had a problem with the audio or the video to be honest. So I'd only consider purchasing an upconverting DVD player if I can find one that plays NTSC/PAL discs.

Cheers

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 137
Well my LG player obviously plays NTSC... but I have never owned a european disc, so cannot help you there...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 138
Further to this, apparently it has a region free hack, so that should not be too hard to look up, but apparently you get "better" results by reformatting your PAL discs to NTSC. Anyway, I am not suggesting you buy LG, but it would seem the region compatibility can be overcome on most upconvert players, so this should not inhibit you any.

Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 5
To answer your questions on HDMI and audio to your TV...On my Satellite box (Dish w/HiDef) I have HDMI to TV. I then run the audio (red & white) to my receiver. The Dish box also has Digital optical out, but you can not use that and HDMI at the same time as the audio is sent via the HDMI, although the red/white out works. I also tried the component out of the Dish box to the tv and then could use the Optical out of the Dish box to receiver (Onkyo HT-s780 by the way). This works.
My dilema is that I'm not sure which setup is better. They both look great and sound great. Unless both were side by side not sure I would notice a picture difference and sound seems the same on both...but I am leaning towards the HDMI set up and audio out set up. Hope that helps.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 882
...but I am leaning towards the HDMI set up and audio out set up.

So you are willing to accept analog stereo audio for a marginal improvement in video quality?

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 7
Hard to hear or see the difference either way. Like I said before, unless you listen to or saw both setups next to each other not sure I can see which is better. Do you think the analog coming from my Dish box is that inferior to digital? I think the difference is probably along the lines of the difference between component video and HDMI....slight. At least by my ears. I do have digital coax out on the DVD. Very nice, but then again, most the movies are DTS or Dolby surround, not sure to many shows from DISH are broadcast that way...but I could be wrong.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 885
Mark, to be honest I have always assumed that sat services echo my cable signal, at least in terms of audio. In other words, half the HBOs are sending Dolby Digital 5.1 at any one time, as well as other premium channels. If you are getting any high def channels, including the major broadcast networks, you will hear DD 5.1 most of the time. A lot of other programming comes through as Dolby Digital 5.1, though not everything. I would never argue that analog stereo is that obviously inferior to DD 2.0, but as I said a lot of stuff is digital surround.

If my assumption about satellite audio is wrong, then I would probably opt for HDMI.....although I'm not totally convinced it is superior to component on most of today's TVs.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 144
You're on the money John, besides, your not limited to all or nothing Digital. Grab a hybrid cable with a HDMI out and DVI in, the sound will NOT go through, then use optical to your receiver. I know for a fact this works (my TV only has DVI in, but my upconverting player only uses HDMI-out). I suppose if your TV only has HDMI in, then your kinda screwed, but of course there is no visual difference to my very keen eyes (20/10 in my left and 20/8 in my right for those of you that wonder what "keen" is) between digital VIDEO and component. TBH I never really saw HDMI as that great an innovation over DVI, its just getting more and more common for people to be using separate components. I truly believe the experience provide by 5.1 is worth the "extra" cable.

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 8
I think my system gives me surround sound(Onkyo HT-s780) depending on the setting. I understand this may be a converted 5.1. But thanks for the info, if the sound coming in is really that superior and the difference between component and HDMI is negligible, then time to switch back. I do notice that when I switch to Hi-Def channels (only 5 of them) the sound setting changes by itself. Thanks again.

Username: Rbhharris

Post Number: 2
Since February of this year I have been the satisfied owner of a Toshiba 56HM195 DLP TV.
I have just purchased the ONKYO HT-S870 Home theater system (HTIB).
I have the Satellite receiver and the DVD connected directly to the HDMI 1 and 2 inputs. It would seem logical to me that I could connect the Onkyo HT-R820THX receiver with the to the optical audio (digital audio out) out with a TOSlink cable and run any sound going through the set (from my DVD and the SAT receivers - one HD receiver and one SD receiver combined with a "TiVo" type recorder), shut off the built in speakers and enjoy merrily all sounds through the Receiver/Amplifier. Unfortunately this doesn't work. I can only get sound through the receiver/amplifier by connecting directly to the TV via analog cabling and the DVD (digitally through a coax cable). I'm quite sure I've got everything set up right. In that the connection with a ToSlink digital audio connection doesn't function directly from the SAT receiver either, it would seem that the Onkyo receiver (which has 3 digital audio inputs) isn't functioning (I did try a second Acoustical Research cable to no avail).
I've written to Toshiba -- they advised me to call a number and the technician on the other end was totally worthless. Haven't gotten replies from Onkyo either.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Bob Harris

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 14
Bob,
Ya, this is the same challenge that this entire thread is discussing. Your cable box or DVD player can only send one digital signal, either thru the HDMI cable or thru the TOSlink/digital coax, but not both. So if you want the HDMI video you would have to use the red/white analog connection from device to your Onkyo. The other option is to use component out from your device, then the TOSlink/Digital coax will work fine thru your Onkyo. Personally I could not see a visual difference between the component and HDMI so I am going the route of the component and digital audio connection. This way you are enjoying true Dolby digital or DTS sound from both your cable box and DVD player. Good luck.

Username: Rbhharris

Post Number: 3
Mark Mastin,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out and reply.
(It fascinates me how large compainies such as Toshiba and/or Onkyo neglect having neither a description in their manuals of such an obvious problem (B follows A translates to here: HDMI in - end of story), or even an answer if you call/email them)
Thanks again! Bob Harris

Username: Unnerdof

Stockport, Cheshire Uk

Post Number: 1
Sorry if this sounds so elementary, but here in the uk we are just starting to get to grips with hdtv. I've just purchased a tv which has advi socket, but no hdmi socket. If i get an hdmi/dmi cable will it carry sound or do I also need to connect sound thro component cables.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 951

Dave, you can successfully use an HDMI®DVI cable, but since DVI only carries digital video you will have to handle the audio signal by other means....be it digital or analog.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 952
....be it digital or analog.

For example, the Sky HD box has optical out for digital audio, as well as analog RCA R/L line outputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us